+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EXTENDING VISIT VISA IN CANADA THE SECOND TIME

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi All,

I just got approved for an extension for 6 months on my mum in law's visit visa of 5 years (remember visitor can only stay 6 months max per time). Now I wanted to extend AGAIN for another 6 months or 12 months (She's helping us with looking after our children after I and wife leave for school and work).

I called CIC this week and asked them if it's ok for her to go to the US and then re-enter Canada (current leave on her paper says she must leave by March 9 and she has visited US before - we plan on applying quickly for US visa here since her US visa is expired now). Was told it's all up to us - whether she goes back to her home country/US and then re-enter. But the officer told me she can apply here. I was surprised to hear that as I've not considered that.

My question is:

Do you think CIC will grant her given that we have first requested 6 months.
If we decide that she goes to the US, will US approve her visa being a visitor in Canada.

Thanks

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
philus said:
Hard to tell. Basically she is now living in Canada not visiting. Also she is working in Canada as a babysitter (yes, taking care of your child is working). CIC might not like this and refuse extension... or maybe they won't care.

You will have to try.

philus said:
If we decide that she goes to the US, will US approve her visa being a visitor in Canada.
This would be a USA specific question, so you will have to ask in a proper forum.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Getting a US visa will depend on her reason of visa. Maybe for tourism. I don't think it will be a problem. It is advisable she leaves and comes in after some weeks. Too many extensions can prevent her from getting visitor's visa after the 5 years expired.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks Lashen and Jalex23!

We are giving the US visa a go tomorrow. She has visited us before (has a daughter there on PR, her US visa expired last October).

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
philus said:
Thanks Lashen and Jalex23!

We are giving the US visa a go tomorrow. She has visited us before (has a daughter there on PR, her US visa expired last October).
It's a good idea!! Please don't forget to update as when she gets her US visa approved. I have no doubt.

oluwalisa

Feb 8, 2017
philus said:
Hi All,

I just got approved for an extension for 6 months on my mum in law's visit visa of 5 years (remember visitor can only stay 6 months max per time). Now I wanted to extend AGAIN for another 6 months or 12 months (She's helping us with looking after our children after I and wife leave for school and work).

I called CIC this week and asked them if it's ok for her to go to the US and then re-enter Canada (current leave on her paper says she must leave by March 9 and she has visited US before - we plan on applying quickly for US visa here since her US visa is expired now). Was told it's all up to us - whether she goes back to her home country/US and then re-enter. But the officer told me she can apply here. I was surprised to hear that as I've not considered that.

My question is:

Thanks
unfortunately, USA is regarded as North America they wont consider it as leaving the country. In my case, my mum arrived Jan 2016 and I extended her stay, she was given an additional one year extension of stay on her 5 year visa. You may call CIC.

The USA may not grant her the visa because its not her country of residence, sometimes they may grant it if you/wife is also applying for a USA visa showing that you are a Canadian resident and that your mum is accompanying you.

What I have learnt is that there is no harm in trying, call CIC to confirm. but being issued a rejection stamp or letter from the USA is not what I like. Can you consider letting your mother go to the UK if she has a visa?

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hey guys,

Yeah, I planned updating the group so people can benefit/learn. I didn't get to read the last two replies - perhaps I would have forseen what was coming, but then we've already paid 160 dollars !!!!, right :'(

She was refused! :mad: :( :eek:. The officer didnt actually state the reason. From my experience, they will tell you the reason, right. But from the questions he asked I guess I knew the reason. He asked how she will take care of herself if she gets sick and asked if she has health insurance from her host there, and we said no but she will get one. Not sure if that was the primary reason or just that as usual officers will look for any opportunity to sya NO.

I was particularly shocked as that would be the last thing on my mind - given I've been to the embassy for visitor's visa twice (student visa for a 2 week course at another time, making thrice).

I assumed she would be approved given she's been there 4 times, and without overstaying.

oooooohhh, i was actually just reading the blue form we were given...

..like I said she is a visitor here in Canada. Perhaps our condition makes matter worse being on student visa and work visa. not sure if she would have been given if we are permanent residents in Canada though....

some of the questions;

you are from this country -yes
am i the translator - yes
what's my status in canada - student
for how long have you been a student - 4 years (perhaps i should have added that im a phd student - not sure if that will help)
why are you still in canada being a visitor - we extended for another 6 months.
when are you leaving Canada - next month, where's your return ticket - we showed him...

verdict - your visa is denied, pls take the next exit to go out

sometimes decision can be subjective so pray that luck smiles on you and you don't meet a hard officer.
thanks all, i think it's best not to tamper with her canadian status. she will probably leave next month and re-enter later as suggested and advised. an option is to actually call re-extend her canadian visa based on the fact that it is likely that i go on a summer intenship (in the US), and could possibly argue on the basis of that , but judging by some of the great responses from you guys, i guess, it's just better to close our eyes and give out a couple of dollars to the airline company again :-( if we want to try another canadian extension, perhaps we may need to show evidence that her ticket has been extended. originally when we extended, i didnt realize we could extend for up to 12 months?, so we extended for 6 months), but again i dont think this is a great idea.

good luck guys and thanks!

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Hi All,

My question is:

Thanks
Hi, I just want to ask if you applied for medical insurance when extending your in-law's visa. My mom's here on a 5-year visa and her 6 months is expiring on August 15. Pls advice me. Thanks.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Hi, was your mom on supervisa visa? You stated extension was granted for 1 year?

unfortunately, USA is regarded as North America they wont consider it as leaving the country. In my case, my mum arrived Jan 2016 and I extended her stay, she was given an additional one year extension of stay on her 5 year visa. You may call CIC.

The USA may not grant her the visa because its not her country of residence, sometimes they may grant it if you/wife is also applying for a USA visa showing that you are a Canadian resident and that your mum is accompanying you.

What I have learnt is that there is no harm in trying, call CIC to confirm. but being issued a rejection stamp or letter from the USA is not what I like. Can you consider letting your mother go to the UK if she has a visa?