+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visit longer than 6 months without family member

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
I have a question regarding the application to extend one's stay.

I am visiting my partner (not married, and not yet qualified to be a common-law as we haven't been living continuously for 12 months yet). In order to be eligible, do we have to be in a common-law relationship? Everything I'm reading refers to "family members", and we are not yet considered to be one.

We are trying to fulfill this requirement by spending the year together, but I have to apply to stay longer than 6 months in order to do so. Since we are not married and not yet common-law, will I be allowed to extend my stay?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ajwhite said:
I have a question regarding the application to extend one's stay.

I am visiting my partner (not married, and not yet qualified to be a common-law as we haven't been living continuously for 12 months yet). In order to be eligible, do we have to be in a common-law relationship? Everything I'm reading refers to "family members", and we are not yet considered to be one.

We are trying to fulfill this requirement by spending the year together, but I have to apply to stay longer than 6 months in order to do so. Since we are not married and not yet common-law, will I be allowed to extend my stay?
Yes, that should be fine. Lots of people on here have extended their visitor statuses by explaining that they want to become common-law with their partners. Be sure to include proof that you can support your extended stay, such as savings or your partner's wage slips.