+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visa to stay with common-law partner

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Hey, there! I'm currently visiting my common law partner in Canada since he moved here in November. I'd like to extend my visit to spend more time with him and gather our paperwork to apply for permanent residency. We have already lived with each other for over a year, back in the United States, so we don't necessarily need the extra time to qualify as common law spouses.

I'm having trouble finding out exactly what reasons qualify me to extend my visitor's visa. Is spending more time with a partner and preparing for permanent residency application something they tend to grant more time for?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Latch said:
Is spending more time with a partner and preparing for permanent residency application something they tend to grant more time for?
Hi

Yes, you can put that as your reason. I suggest paying the PR fees in full and including the receipt with your extension app to show them that you are serious about applying. Provided you can show sufficient proof of finances, there should be no issue.

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for your response, canuck_in_uk. That's really good to know. Am I to understand that you can prepay the fees for PR application before applying?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can pay them as much ahead of time as you want. Just make sure that when you do submit the app, the fees are still the same.