+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Study Permit in a "de-designated learning institutions"

novia0923

Aug 31, 2012
Hi there,

I applied my study permit in Aug 2013, and expiration date is in the end of Oct 2016
Due to some circumstances, I won't be able to finish my program until Feb 2017. I was going to extend my student permit later as my SP doesn't expire until later this year.
and - all of a sudden, my current school lost it's designation status as of this Feb (it was a designated learning institution since June 1 2014...I think there were some error during the application process or something)!

So, according to CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/design.asp

"
Loss of designation status [R220.1(2)]
Provinces and territories will notify IRCC when a learning institution has lost its designation status (i.e., when it has been “de-designated”).

In the event that a learning institution loses its designation status after the issuance of the study permit, the student may

continue to study at that institution until their study permit becomes invalid; or
transfer to an alternative DLI.
The student may not apply for a study permit renewal to extend their attendance at that institution."

So, it seem like I can't not apply for a study permit renewal, but...

"Transitional provisions
A foreign national who already has a study permit or who applies for study permit before June 1, 2014,

may continue to study in Canada to complete their program of study until the end of the validity period of their study permit, regardless of whether the institution is designated as of June 1;
may apply to renew their study permit from within Canada for the purpose of completing their program of study (until June 1, 2017) if they are attending a non-DLI; and
must be actively pursuing their course or program of study while they are in Canada. This means that study permit holders in Canada must make continuous progress towards completing their program of study."

It seem like I can "apply to renew study permit from within Canada for the purpose of completing their program of study (until June 1, 2017) if they are attending a non-DLI"

I am confused, does it mean I can't renew at all, or I can apply for extension but just up to June 1 2017 (which would work for me since I don't need that long to complete my program anyway)

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any help/insight :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It does appear that you can extend your study permit provided you haven't taken any unusual breaks in your studies.

Keep in mind that you won't qualify for a PGWP once you're done. So it would probably make a lot more sense to switch your studies to a DLI.

Feb 26, 2016
Hi,, Any one please provide information.. I am planning for a PG Diploma course of 44 weeks duration. After completion of the course, For How long I will get the Work permit.

novia0923

Aug 31, 2012
scylla said:
It does appear that you can extend your study permit provided you haven't taken any unusual breaks in your studies.

Keep in mind that you won't qualify for a PGWP once you're done. So it would probably make a lot more sense to switch your studies to a DLI.
Thank you for your reply! Yes I understand it's likely I won't like PGWP unless my school fix the problem before I graduate...but I have heard even if the school is on DLI we still won't get PGWP since it's a private school (although some people still got it ::))
I have this in mind and just wish to finish my program at least, since I can't find any other school offering the same program at the moment :)

Thank you for your time and have a great day!