+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extending student permit or changing status

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
hello guys,
i will be doing an exchange semester the next year in Quebec (just for 5 months im not sure if it qualifies for a semester) and I had a few questions in mind, would it be possible for me to extend my student visa if I get admissions from a masters or any PG program even if I have to turn back again to my country to get my bachelors diploma? even if it is possible in theory what is the likelihood of acceptance?
thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello guys,
i will be doing an exchange semester the next year in Quebec (just for 5 months im not sure if it qualifies for a semester) and I had a few questions in mind, would it be possible for me to extend my student visa if I get admissions from a masters or any PG program even if I have to turn back again to my country to get my bachelors diploma? even if it is possible in theory what is the likelihood of acceptance?
thanks
You don’t need a CAQ or study permit if less then 6 months. You need a TRV. Are you doing an exchange at McGill? If not what school? McGill’s website has an excellent step by step process for people on exchanges and would be the same for all schools in Quebec.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
You don’t need a CAQ or study permit if less then 6 months. You need a TRV. Are you doing an exchange at McGill? If not what school?
no in concordia, is it impossible to get study permit for less than 6 months then? if so can I change my TRV to study permit later on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
no in concordia, is it impossible to get study permit for less than 6 months then? if so can I change my TRV to study permit later on?
McGill’s website has an has an excellent explanation of what you need to do for visiting/exchange students. Check it out and read through all the different scenarios.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
McGill’s website has an has an excellent explanation of what you need to do for visiting/exchange students. Check it out and read through all the different scenarios.
hey I found the page you were talking about I guess its this one https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/renewing-documents it says its strongly recommended to stay in canada while renewing a permit but can I apply to masters and student permit w/o the actual diploma in hand? also it says study permit-yes, does that mean I need to have a study permit in order to renew it?