--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
Hey everybody! Specific question related to extending my visit --

Do I need a proof of entry of some kind in order to request an extension for my time in Canada? I'm American, entered March 27 of this year, and have since married my longtime Quebec girlfriend. Completed sponsorship app is going out next week and we were considering sending in a visitor extension form with that as well. The border isn't very far from here, however (like a lot of you) going through is rarely pleasant. I'd prefer to be granted an extension through the mail, but never received a visitor record, or TRV of any kind. No UCI to include with my form or even a stamp to show my date of entry. Does it matter?

Thanks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Ok, if you entered March 27, that means you have until Sept 27 before your 6 months are up. Are you guys planning on sending your application as Inland or Outland? If you are doing Inland, then send along the paperwork for an OWP which will give you implied status and you will not need to extend your visitor status, that of course presuming your are sending this application before your Sept 27 deadline. There are those that will tell you just send your app and don't stress it even after your 'due' date, but I still hop around and want to follow ALL the rules, just in case! LOL

If you are sending an application for sponsorship via outland, then you can usually get an extension online for your visitor status.

I would like to point out one thing though, being a US citizen myself.

If you and your wife both 'flagpole' into the US, or even for an afternoon of shopping/visiting, then come back into Canada bring your proofs of your sponsorship paperwork and a copy of your marriage certificate and when you come back to Canada, tell them you would like to go into immigration and request a visitor record. They SHOULD give you at the very least 6 months more, or more likely 12 months, AND this is the good part, it won't cost you the $75 that you have to pay online to extend your stay.

Just some thoughts for you.

tabarnouche

Aug 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Request
--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
Alurra71 said:
Ok, if you entered March 27, that means you have until Sept 27 before your 6 months are up. Are you guys planning on sending your application as Inland or Outland? If you are doing Inland, then send along the paperwork for an OWP which will give you implied status and you will not need to extend your visitor status, that of course presuming your are sending this application before your Sept 27 deadline. There are those that will tell you just send your app and don't stress it even after your 'due' date, but I still hop around and want to follow ALL the rules, just in case! LOL

If you are sending an application for sponsorship via outland, then you can usually get an extension online for your visitor status.

I would like to point out one thing though, being a US citizen myself.

If you and your wife both 'flagpole' into the US, or even for an afternoon of shopping/visiting, then come back into Canada bring your proofs of your sponsorship paperwork and a copy of your marriage certificate and when you come back to Canada, tell them you would like to go into immigration and request a visitor record. They SHOULD give you at the very least 6 months more, or more likely 12 months, AND this is the good part, it won't cost you the $75 that you have to pay online to extend your stay.

Just some thoughts for you.
We will be applying outland (NY) in order to save some time and also allow for me to travel back to the states if need be.
When applying, in the reason for extension field would it be okay to say something like 'staying with spouse while PR application is processing'? I'm not sure what a qualifies as a valid reason for extending... we would of course send a copy of the marriage cert and proof of applying for permanent residence -- won't have sponsorship approval but can send along financial statements showing that supporting my stay wouldn't be an issue.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Yes, you can list applying for sponsorship as your reasoning, but I think I read somewhere that you will have to print and mail in your extension application because the drop down menus don't have that option, so it is kind of written in after you print it. Anyhow, yes, that is a good reason. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the extension.

tabarnouche

Aug 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Request
--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
Alurra71 said:
Yes, you can list applying for sponsorship as your reasoning, but I think I read somewhere that you will have to print and mail in your extension application because the drop down menus don't have that option, so it is kind of written in after you print it. Anyhow, yes, that is a good reason. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the extension.
I'll do just that! Thanks so much!