+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay while Super Visa expired

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have a twisted situation, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I’m a Canadian Citizen. In June 2023, my parents were issued a Super Visa that expires in September 2025, as per their passport expiry date.

My questions:

1 - Is there a rule for how long of a stay they will be granted upon entry to Canada? Let’s say they get here in March 2024, can they still be allowed to stay 5 years (even though the visa expires way before that, in 2024)?

2- if they renewed their passports, and the old passports (containing the super visa) got cancelled, can they still enter Canada carrying both the old ones (to show they have a visa) and the new passport?
And if so, would they be allowed a 5 year stay (well within the new passport validity period)?

3- In this very case , is applying for extension of stay allowed with an expired super visa?

4- if no extension allowed, do they have to leave the country and apply for a super visa from abroad?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone,

I have a twisted situation, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I’m a Canadian Citizen. In June 2023, my parents were issued a Super Visa that expires in September 2025, as per their passport expiry date.

My questions:

1 - Is there a rule for how long of a stay they will be granted upon entry to Canada? Let’s say they get here in March 2024, can they still be allowed to stay 5 years (even though the visa expires way before that, in 2024)?

2- if they renewed their passports, and the old passports (containing the super visa) got cancelled, can they still enter Canada carrying both the old ones (to show they have a visa) and the new passport?
And if so, would they be allowed a 5 year stay (well within the new passport validity period)?

3- In this very case , is applying for extension of stay allowed with an expired super visa?

4- if no extension allowed, do they have to leave the country and apply for a super visa from abroad?

Thanks in advance.
Overall, you are confusing the validity of the super visa itself with the length of time your parents are admitted as visitors to Canada. These are two different things.

1. It's ultimately up to the CBSA officer how long they are allowed into Canada. However it's quite possible they will be given the full five years.

2. Yes, they can enter Canada. See above. The length of their stay will ultimately be determined by CBSA at the border.

3. You're confusing the validity of the super visa with their allowed stay in Canada. These are two different things. Let's say they are allowed into Canada for 2 years, then can apply to extend their stay in Canada before the end of the two years. If approved, this will allow them to stay in Canada longer. It doesn't extend the actual super visa. Note that it's up to IRCC if the extension is approved.

4. See above. The extension only allows them to stay in Canada longer. The super visa itself cannot be extended. They would need to apply for a new super visa from outside of Canada.

Reactions: dolfin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add the length of possible stay will also be influenced by their health. They need to qualify for supervisa insurance every year in order to remain in Canada.

Reactions: dolfin

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Overall, you are confusing the validity of the super visa itself with the length of time your parents are admitted as visitors to Canada. These are two different things.

1. It's ultimately up to the CBSA officer how long they are allowed into Canada. However it's quite possible they will be given the full five years.

2. Yes, they can enter Canada. See above. The length of their stay will ultimately be determined by CBSA at the border.

3. You're confusing the validity of the super visa with their allowed stay in Canada. These are two different things. Let's say they are allowed into Canada for 2 years, then can apply to extend their stay in Canada before the end of the two years. If approved, this will allow them to stay in Canada longer. It doesn't extend the actual super visa. Note that it's up to IRCC if the extension is approved.

4. See above. The extension only allows them to stay in Canada longer. The super visa itself cannot be extended. They would need to apply for a new super visa from outside of Canada.
thanks a lot for the detailed response, much appreciated!

Nabia451

Nov 13, 2023
Hello, I am in the kind of same situation. my mom got super visa for 2 years coz her passport was expiring in 2 years, can i apply for extend in her stay as she is in Canada right now. her passport is renewed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I am in the kind of same situation. my mom got super visa for 2 years coz her passport was expiring in 2 years, can i apply for extend in her stay as she is in Canada right now. her passport is renewed.
Yes, you can.

Nabia451

Nov 13, 2023
Thank you @scylla , I am just wondering how long should my mother request her extension to be? will asking for a long duration impact the decision.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you @scylla , I am just wondering how long should my mother request her extension to be? will asking for a long duration impact the decision.
You can always ask but the length is not guaranteed. Another medical may be required. It remains a visitor visa so she will be expected to return home at a certain point.