+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Stay/Length allowing in Country

oz.jenkins

May 24, 2015
Hey, I'm coming to visit my spouse and only have a 3 week trip planned. First off I want to know if anyone can shed any light on hopw common it is for border officers to apply date restrictions to a visitor e.g only allow them in for a few weeks etc I'm from a visa exempt country so I'm hoping for the full 6 months in case I want to end up stay a few extra weeks or a month. Effectively I'm asking what are my chances of just getting the 6 month stamp, when I'm visiting my boyfriend, when I have a return ticket booked and a job back home?

Also am I right in saying that if in fact the BO did write down a date I hate to leave by, that was under a month then there is no way I could apply to extend my visit? As it needs to be done 30 days before it expires?

Thanks

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
When you arrive at the border the officer may stamp your passport then they will write a date in the stamp. If they do then this is the date you need to leave Canada by and will not be longer than 6 months from the date of your arrival.

Or they will not stamp it and you can infer that you have 6 months.

If the officer gave you less than 1 month you can extend it at any time as long as they receive your visitor extension application before the date in your passport

oz.jenkins

May 24, 2015
andrew-brit said:
When you arrive at the border the officer may stamp your passport then they will write a date in the stamp. If they do then this is the date you need to leave Canada by and will not be longer than 6 months from the date of your arrival.

Or they will not stamp it and you can infer that you have 6 months.

If the officer gave you less than 1 month you can extend it at any time as long as they receive your visitor extension application before the date in your passport
On their website it says that any application to extend the stay must be done 30 days before the date it expires, so if they give me just a 3 week stay that doesn't apply?

starry101

Feb 11, 2013
We kept my husband's status up by extending his visitor visa online (every 6 months). Once he forgot and did it one day before it expired and it was still approved.

oz.jenkins

May 24, 2015
starry101 said:
We kept my husband's status up by extending his visitor visa online (every 6 months). Once he forgot and did it one day before it expired and it was still approved.
How long did it usually take to get a decision after making the application to extend?

starry101

Feb 11, 2013
We always submitted it online. It was really random how long it took, once it was 2 weeks, another time it was over a month. I believe you have implied status as long as it takes them to make the decision.