+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Stay as Visitor

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
Hello guys..

I am currently in canada as a visitor. Im currently staying with family members. And id like to know if it is feasible to try and extend my stay in canada over the 6 months thats alloted??

What is the success rate of trying to do this based on reasons??

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
Hello guys..

I am currently in canada as a visitor. Im currently staying with family members. And id like to know if it is feasible to try and extend my stay in canada over the 6 months thats alloted??

What is the success rate of trying to do this based on reasons??
you can request for an extension; send application 30 days before the expiry of your TRV.

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
OK.. before the TRV expires or the time they usually alot (6 months)??

Because the TRV is like 5 years or so..

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
if they extend, they usually give 6 months more

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
OK.. before the TRV expires or the time they usually alot (6 months)??

Because the TRV is like 5 years or so..
Do you have a multiple entry visa? Usually you are allowed 6 months stay counted starting the date stamped on your passport, so before the 6 months allowed stay.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
when they extend visa, they extend it from the date stamped on the passport or from the date they start the process working with one's application?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
when they extend visa, they extend it from the date stamped on the passport or from the date they start the process working with one's application?
They grant you the time (date is asked for in the form) you requested, more or less depending upon the reason for your extension request. this time the actual date you are allowed to stay will be placed on your visitor record if approved.

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
ok. thanks for that info.
so how feasible is it to get an extention now?

like if i simply want spend some more time with family? Would that work? or it wouldnt even make sense trying?

I would just like to know what type of reason would warrant sumone to apply for extention??

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
ok. thanks for that info.
so how feasible is it to get an extention now?

like if i simply want spend some more time with family? Would that work? or it wouldnt even make sense trying?

I would just like to know what type of reason would warrant sumone to apply for extention??
We never know. But you won't know if you never tried. Just explain your reason why you want to spend more time with them. And you have multiple entry visa, don't you? So if CPC turned down your extension request you can always leave and then come back.

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
Ok, i see.
I do have multiple entry. But if i CPC turns down my application, would'nt that be placed on my record or something and may cause problems with applying for a visa in the future?

Another question, how long might it take for me to receive a response from CBC, before my 6 months is up?
Suppose the 6th period arrives and i have not received a response. I would now be illegal right? (overstaying my time)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
Ok, i see.
I do have multiple entry. But if i CPC turns down my application, would'nt that be placed on my record or something and may cause problems with applying for a visa in the future?

Another question, how long might it take for me to receive a response from CBC, before my 6 months is up?
Suppose the 6th period arrives and i have not received a response. I would now be illegal right? (overstaying my time)
If you send your application before the expiration of the validity of your TRV (6 mos after the stamped date) you're on "implied status" until you get a response from CPC. As to the current processing time: visitor extension is 108 days.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

It would be on your record but why would it be a problem to your future applications? You're trying to do the right thing by requesting for an extension and as long as leave if you get a refusal you'd be okay.

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
Oh i see.. thanks for that info..

Anothet question, What about the financial part?
what exactly do you put there? It just says state the amount you have, do i have to put a figure there, or do i need some sort of bank statement to add with the application?
Since im with family and all my expenses are pretty much covered?? What exactly should i do for that section??

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
Oh i see.. thanks for that info..

Anothet question, What about the financial part?
what exactly do you put there? It just says state the amount you have, do i have to put a figure there, or do i need some sort of bank statement to add with the application?
Since im with family and all my expenses are pretty much covered?? What exactly should i do for that section??
Well how much did you put in there when you applied for your multiple entry visa? Attach the invitation letter/undertaking you submitted when you applied for your initial visa (if it is fairly recent), otherwise, I think CDN$10,000 is for a year of living expenses so go from there. Or if your invitation/undertaking is dated, have your "sponsor" (the person who invited you) make an undertaking again (sworn statement) and submit that together with your application. You would still have to fill up the amount available question though (from your own funds, because I'm sure you showed CIC enough funds to do your travel).

dusty090

Nov 1, 2009
I see.. the thing is, i was/is a dependent child.. so it was my parents that applied for my visa and such..
So thats why im a bit confused as to what to put there.. as im basically a dependent still.

What would you advise in this situation??

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dusty090 said:
I see.. the thing is, i was/is a dependent child.. so it was my parents that applied for my visa and such..
So thats why im a bit confused as to what to put there.. as im basically a dependent still.

What would you advise in this situation??
O my. So are your parents going to extend too? Hmmmm maybe an undertaking of responsibility from whoever invited you will suffice for the financial part. How to convince the officer that you can stay here and maintain your visitor status without working "under the table" and that you're going back to your country of origin once your allowed stay is over, is the main concern now. It is always a 50/50 percent probability. Present your case in such a way that your reason is to see more of Canada. 6 months is not enough time to visit Canada after all especially if you have to wait for others' free time to bring you to places of interest.