+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending past 6 months on Temporary Visa


Full Member
Sep 10, 2018

My mother-in-law and father-in-law are currently in Canada. They are from Ukraine. They received a Visitor's visa that extended for the duration of their passport, which was something around 9 years. It is my understanding that the longest they can stay in 6 months from the day they arrived in Canada. Is this correct? Is it 6 months or 180 days?

If they end up leaving a few days past their maximum allowed stay will there be issues? There is no exit stamp here so I am wondering how they keep track of it all. We are just looking at flights now for them to go back to Ukraine but I am not sure what our maximum allowed stay time will be.

Thanks in advance for your replies.


VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Six months, yes.

It is technically a problem, yes. They will have overstayed. Canada will soon - if not already - have the ability to track exits of foreign nationals. CBSA receives outbound passenger manifests from airlines. If your parents go to the US, the US sends Canada an "entry report" of anyone entering the US from Canada. It would not be hard to determine your parents overstayed.

You could apply for a visitor's extension and see if they are approved, but I do not generally recommend overstaying "a couple of days" or anything in case it is discovered and they run into problems only when they try to return later.