+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending my visit from the US past 6 months without a family member

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
I have a question regarding the application extend a visit in Canada. I should also mention I am visiting from the US, so I do not have a visitors visa, just a 6 month window.

I am visiting my partner (not married, and not yet qualified to be a common-law as we haven't been living continuously for 12 months yet). In order to be eligible, do we have to be in a common-law relationship? Everything I'm reading refers to "family members", and we are not yet considered to be one.

We are trying to fulfill this requirement by spending the year together, but I have to apply to stay longer than 6 months in order to do so. Since we are not married and not yet common-law, will I be allowed to extend my stay?

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
since u r together for little awhile...if ur partner is pregnant u have a strong case for visa extension....with out any doubt...

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seems to me from ur question r u gays or lesbian some kind of relation..is that right...!!!!because u said we r talking about families etc...i am confused....this is very different kind of relation to prove...plz clear ur question.in easy way may be some one can here in ur situation can help u.

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
Gogia said:
seems to me from ur question r u gays or lesbian some kind of relation..is that right...!!!!because u said we r talking about families etc...i am confused....this is very different kind of relation to prove...plz clear ur question.in easy way may be some one can here in ur situation can help u.
No -- I am a male and she is female.

We have been together for a year or so now. I am staying with her for 6 months and looking to extend my stay for another 6 months.
The documents on the extension form seem to require that she is a family member in order to be granted an extended stay. I wanted to confirm if this is the case.