+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending expired work Permit

Waron

Dec 26, 2019
Hello everybody
I hope somebody help me with my question about extending my expired work permit in bc. I applied to extend my work permit before my work permit expire and I got a refusal letter because I didn’t pay a fee and I am a refugee protection claimant for the second time I applied but after my expired date and I spoke to immigration they told me you are not allowed to work because you lost your status and then I realized that I am a refugee claimant I am not a worker it means I have no like a legal status and somebody told me you allowed to work because you’re refugee claimant you are not a worker it’s a different situation because if you are a worker it means you lost your status you have to apply for restore

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everybody
I hope somebody help me with my question about extending my expired work permit in bc. I applied to extend my work permit before my work permit expire and I got a refusal letter because I didn’t pay a fee and I am a refugee protection claimant for the second time I applied but after my expired date and I spoke to immigration they told me you are not allowed to work because you lost your status and then I realized that I am a refugee claimant I am not a worker it means I have no like a legal status and somebody told me you allowed to work because you’re refugee claimant you are not a worker it’s a different situation because if you are a worker it means you lost your status you have to apply for restore
You are not allowed to work, even as a refugee, until you have a VALID work permit. You can't extend an already expired work permit, so you will need to apply for a new one.

Waron

Dec 26, 2019
So if I’m not allowed to work can I apply for employment insurance EI to collect my EI well I’m waiting for new work permit ? Or should I apply to restore my status or it’s not related to me because I am not a worker I am a refugee ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So if I’m not allowed to work can I apply for employment insurance EI to collect my EI well I’m waiting for new work permit ? Or should I apply to restore my status or it’s not related to me because I am not a worker I am a refugee ?
You will need to talk to Service Canada about EI. I don't know about the next steps regarding status. You may have "status" but no authority to work. I will have to let someone else answer the question.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You will need to talk to Service Canada about EI. I don't know about the next steps regarding status. You may have "status" but no authority to work. I will have to let someone else answer the question.
One of the requirements in being able to apply and collect EI, is being available and ABLE to work . If the person does not have a valid work permit , they do not meet the second requirement

Reactions: Buletruck