+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending a LMIA exempt work permit

klo2018

Jan 7, 2019
Hey Everyone,
This is the first time I am extending my closed work permit, and when I log on I can't find option where I state that my job is LMIA exempt the only options are - Do you have a LMIA: Yes, No, my employer is requesting one. 'No' makes the application ineligible and 'Yes' then requires me to upload the LMIA paperwork - which I don't have.
I'm pretty sure I'm being a bit dumb here, but this is the GC website and it's not exactly clear where everything is. So if anyone has done this recently and can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.
Cheers,
K

klo2018

Jan 7, 2019
when I log on I can't find option where I state that my job is LMIA exempt the only options are - Do you have a LMIA: Yes, No, my employer is requesting one. 'No' makes the application ineligible and 'Yes' then requires me to upload the LMIA paperwork - which I don't have.
Sorry I should have offered a bit more context. I'm a postdoc, if I choose my type of work as "academic exchange, conducting research or training" (as has been suggested here) that does seem to bypass the LMIA requirement, but then I'm asked for a letter of invitation which also seems wrong. Surely, I don't need to be invited and justify how my travel expenses in Canada will be covered if I have an offer of appointment and salary? Anyone done this recently that can offer a bit of advice and spare me a 45 min wait on the phone on Tues? Do I upload my offer of employment as the invitation letter? Cheers!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Sorry I should have offered a bit more context. I'm a postdoc, if I choose my type of work as "academic exchange, conducting research or training" (as has been suggested here) that does seem to bypass the LMIA requirement, but then I'm asked for a letter of invitation which also seems wrong. Surely, I don't need to be invited and justify how my travel expenses in Canada will be covered if I have an offer of appointment and salary? Anyone done this recently that can offer a bit of advice and spare me a 45 min wait on the phone on Tues? Do I upload my offer of employment as the invitation letter? Cheers!
Do you even meet the criteria for "academic exchange"? My guess is no.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/canadian-interests-reciprocal-employment-academic-exchanges-r205-b-exemption-code-c22.html

What is your current exemption code? C31 or C44? Or something else completely?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes.html#r205

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

klo2018

Jan 7, 2019
Then go via the C44 link on that page to find out what you need to have to apply for work permit again. It seems to be time limited in scope and there are a list of prerequisites.
I know about the conditions of getting one. My problem is that it's not clear to me how that information links to correctly describing the 'type of work' on the application questionnaire, so that I generate the correct forms for the renewal.