+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended Stays in Canada as a UK Citizen

MrChris

Apr 6, 2013
Hey,

My Girlfriend and her Parents want me to go over and stay with them in Canada for 6 months, and they said that they will look after me and pay for everything i need while i am there. They said also that they want to take me on holiday over to America with them over Christmas, which would be nearing the end of the 6 month stay, Which they said that they want me to try and get an extension at that time to stay with them longer.

I have been over to visit them multiple times, and always left on the time that my flights were, and my girlfriend has also came to see me multiple times and left on the appropriate return dates.

What i was wondering is, would i have much of a hassle getting over there with a one way flight and explaining all of this or, would i have to book a return? or would they just laugh at me and send me home? and would i have trouble getting an extension on the 6 months?

And also would i need to apply for any Visas? When I've visited, for shorter periods of time, I've not needed to apply for one, but does that apply to longer stays?

As much information on this would be so helpful!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey

Answering the last question first, no, you don't need a visa. You are able to enter for 6 months as a tourist and you are able to extend that status online.

Because you are visa-exempt, you have always left on time and they are offering to support you, you should be fine when you go through Canadian immigration. CBSA will probably speak to your girlfriend and her parents to confirm they will be supporting you. The only issue with the one way flight is the chance that the airline might ask you to show a ticket out of Canada; this can be gotten around by simply buying a separate fully refundable ticket back to the UK in case they ask and then cancelling it the day after you land in Canada :).

If you leave Canada before the original 6 months is finished (going on your holiday to the US), you won't need an extension. When you re-enter from the US, you would start a new 6 months. As with the first time, they will probably want to confirm with your gf and her parents that they are still supporting you but being visa-exempt, you should be OK.

MrChris

Apr 6, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hey

Answering the last question first, no, you don't need a visa. You are able to enter for 6 months as a tourist and you are able to extend that status online.

Because you are visa-exempt, you have always left on time and they are offering to support you, you should be fine when you go through Canadian immigration. CBSA will probably speak to your girlfriend and her parents to confirm they will be supporting you. The only issue with the one way flight is the chance that the airline might ask you to show a ticket out of Canada; this can be gotten around by simply buying a separate fully refundable ticket back to the UK in case they ask and then cancelling it the day after you land in Canada :).

If you leave Canada before the original 6 months is finished (going on your holiday to the US), you won't need an extension. When you re-enter from the US, you would start a new 6 months. As with the first time, they will probably want to confirm with your gf and her parents that they are still supporting you but being visa-exempt, you should be OK.
Thanks! Very informative, and contains everything i asked :D

Reason i was worried was i remember the first time i went over, which was for 3 weeks, Customs and Immigration gave me a right good game of 100 questions and bag searches and everything... Every time after that was fine, but i was just worried they might do it again. Even though I've nothing to hide from them, I just have a fear of hassle...

Very much appreciated!

philatcanada

Apr 13, 2011
Mr Chris, I saw your post and I have a similar situation right now. My girlfriend visited me a couple of times, I visited her a couple of times.

I'm starting to worry about being suspicious to them just because I travel there so much. A lot of what I'm worried about is telling them I want to be in the country for 6 months without being able to work. How do you explain that to the IO? Didn't they wonder how you're going to keep yourself afloat and whether you have a job back home?

Thanks a lot,
Phil