+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended stay

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
hey guys, just have a question to ask. So my fiancee is still here as a visitor, she came in January and was to go back on the 25th of May. What happened was that her flight got cancelled and she had to rebook it with Lufthansa which they did with no problem for the 2nd of June. Now that day came and I dropped her off at the airport but got a message from her as i got home saying that the officers wouldnt let her board the plane. Shes from Greece, Lufthansa had given her a ticket to Frankfurt but from there she didnt have a ticket or flight from Frankfurt to Greece or something like that so she was unable to board the plane after calling Lufthansa with the officers but they didnt pick up so she couldnt board since she only had about an hour until her flight was to take off. She was a bit nervous and afraid at that point so she asked them if she will be in trouble with immigration if she overstays, and they happened to tell her at this point immigration is being lenient on people who are basically trapped here and are not really checking or worried if anyone overstays. So we came home and she called Lufthansa the next day, and they apologized and gave her a return ticket for the 2nd of July, so she got to stay another month. She also mentioned to them that her eTa expires on the 12th of July and she is worried that her flight might get cancelled again and if it does and she is here beyond the point of her expiry date and they also said its nothing to worry about as well, and that there are 2 other flights on the 5th and 7th of July if anything were to happen. Now she is a bit scared to travel and doesn't feel safe and we're thinking about calling Lufthansa again to see if they can issue another ticket for maybe next month or the month after, so I was just wondering if there would be any problems with that since all we've been hearing is that immigration knows that due to the pandemic people are stuck here, have their flights cancelled or are afraid of travelling at this time. Thanks guys, just that the officers dont really know much about immigration or the employees at Lufthansa so I decided to post here since I know there are many people knowledgeable on immigration here that would be a big of a help. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hey guys, just have a question to ask. So my fiancee is still here as a visitor, she came in January and was to go back on the 25th of May. What happened was that her flight got cancelled and she had to rebook it with Lufthansa which they did with no problem for the 2nd of June. Now that day came and I dropped her off at the airport but got a message from her as i got home saying that the officers wouldnt let her board the plane. Shes from Greece, Lufthansa had given her a ticket to Frankfurt but from there she didnt have a ticket or flight from Frankfurt to Greece or something like that so she was unable to board the plane after calling Lufthansa with the officers but they didnt pick up so she couldnt board since she only had about an hour until her flight was to take off. She was a bit nervous and afraid at that point so she asked them if she will be in trouble with immigration if she overstays, and they happened to tell her at this point immigration is being lenient on people who are basically trapped here and are not really checking or worried if anyone overstays. So we came home and she called Lufthansa the next day, and they apologized and gave her a return ticket for the 2nd of July, so she got to stay another month. She also mentioned to them that her eTa expires on the 12th of July and she is worried that her flight might get cancelled again and if it does and she is here beyond the point of her expiry date and they also said its nothing to worry about as well, and that there are 2 other flights on the 5th and 7th of July if anything were to happen. Now she is a bit scared to travel and doesn't feel safe and we're thinking about calling Lufthansa again to see if they can issue another ticket for maybe next month or the month after, so I was just wondering if there would be any problems with that since all we've been hearing is that immigration knows that due to the pandemic people are stuck here, have their flights cancelled or are afraid of travelling at this time. Thanks guys, just that the officers dont really know much about immigration or the employees at Lufthansa so I decided to post here since I know there are many people knowledgeable on immigration here that would be a big of a help. Thanks!
If she wants to stay beyond July 12th she needs to apply for an extension to her visit.

Yes, officials are obviously aware there is a pandemic. However this doesn't give people the right to remain in Canada beyond their authorized stay. People who want to remain longer need to apply for an extension.

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply scylla, if im right you need to apply for an extension 30 days before right? Is this 30 days prior to your flight, or the time your eTa expires? Also if it so happens that her flights are to be cancelled again, and she happens to be stuck here past her eTa validity, what would that mean? Afterall if that were to happen it wouldn't be her fault right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply scylla, if im right you need to apply for an extension 30 days before right? Is this 30 days prior to your flight, or the time your eTa expires? Also if it so happens that her flights are to be cancelled again, and she happens to be stuck here past her eTa validity, what would that mean? Afterall if that were to happen it wouldn't be her fault right?
Please review the responses you were given previously regarding the 30 days:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travel-ban.685699/

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply again scylla, completely forgot about that thread, now I know it's too late. To my other question though, if her flights are to be cancelled and she is stuck here after her eTa expires what will happen? It wouldn't be her fault if that were to happen. Sorry for the questions, we're just really nervous and we just want to do everything right and dont want any complications with immigration when she comes back.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply again scylla, completely forgot about that thread, now I know it's too late. To my other question though, if her flights are to be cancelled and she is stuck here after her eTa expires what will happen? It wouldn't be her fault if that were to happen. Sorry for the questions, we're just really nervous and we just want to do everything right and dont want any complications with immigration when she comes back.
It's not too late to apply for a visitor record, and if she doesn't plan on going home I suggest she takes care of that sooner rather than later, as it is very much her fault if she doesn't depart Canada by the time she's supposed to. There are no Canadian travel restrictions prohibiting her from leaving the country.