+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended stay visa & Medical Insurance

sjpandey

Oct 15, 2008
Hello,

My mother came to Canada on visitor visa last year. When her six months visa was about to expire we applied for extended stay for 2 years and it was approved. For that we had to enroll her for a year of Medical Insurance. The first year of her extended stay is about to complete next week. I have 2 questions:

1) Does she need (by law) to apply for Medical Insurance for the remaining one year ? If she doesn't, will it affect her future immigration applications ?

2) Before her 2 years extended stay expires next year, can we apply for another extension ?

Please advise.

Thanks

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
sjpandey said:
Hello,

My mother came to Canada on visitor visa last year. When her six months visa was about to expire we applied for extended stay for 2 years and it was approved. For that we had to enroll her for a year of Medical Insurance. The first year of her extended stay is about to complete next week. I have 2 questions:

1) Does she need (by law) to apply for Medical Insurance for the remaining one year ? If she doesn't, will it affect her future immigration applications ?

2) Before her 2 years extended stay expires next year, can we apply for another extension ?

Please advise.

Thanks
1) For regular TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) there is no Medical Insurance requirement. However, it is highly recommended to have one so that your mom does not have to pay medical emergency related fees in case something happens. As the insurance is not required, your mother will not have any problems with future immigration procedures.

2) Yes, you can apply. It might be more beneficial to apply for Super Visa that is usually issued for 10 years and it allows parents/grandparents of the Canadian PRs and Citizens to stay in Canada for up to 2 consecutive years.

If it was Super Visa now, it would have been a mandatory to purchase a Medical Emergency Insurance that is valid for 365 days and covers at least $100,000 in total.

Just in case you are interested, you may use an insurance calculator in order to see what options are available for your mother among all private Canadian insurance companies.

Free On-line Medical Insurance Calculator for Visitors to Canada

Hope it clarifies your situation.

Last edited:

lost010

Star Member
Nov 17, 2010
Steevy said:
Absolutely. You can apply from within Canada.
Hi can you reply to me please asap.
I want to apply for two years visa for my mom.
We have already extended her visa once for six month, is there a good change of her getting for two years.
I can assure you I have income more then LICO and will be taking Medical insurance above 100,000.
Please help.
regards
Sam