+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend work permit or apply for PR?

Essie

Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

I could really use some advice because I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all that immigration stuff and this forum was really helpful in the past.

Here's the summary of my situation:

*Currently on post-grad work permit expiring in July 2021 due to passport expiry. Current work permit can be extended for another year upon passport renewal.
*Completed 2-year diploma in Canada and have 1+ year work experience in a skilled profession.

Initially I thought I'd just apply for PR through CEC instead of extending my current work permit because I qualify on paper. I started compiling my documents and going to renew my passport but due to Covid everything takes ages right now.

I was hoping to submit my CEC application in January/February but seeing how things currently are there's no way it'll be processed by July. Which means I'll have to apply for bridging work permit anyway.

Which brings me to my dilemma - maybe it makes more sense to extend my current work permit first and deal with PR application later in the year? Will the work permit extension be processed significantly quicker to justify applying for it instead of PR?

I would really appreciate any advice! Immigration procedures are so stressful and covid makes it so much worse. I'm feeling very conflicted :(

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi everyone,

I could really use some advice because I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all that immigration stuff and this forum was really helpful in the past.

Here's the summary of my situation:

*Currently on post-grad work permit expiring in July 2021 due to passport expiry. Current work permit can be extended for another year upon passport renewal.
*Completed 2-year diploma in Canada and have 1+ year work experience in a skilled profession.

Initially I thought I'd just apply for PR through CEC instead of extending my current work permit because I qualify on paper. I started compiling my documents and going to renew my passport but due to Covid everything takes ages right now.

I was hoping to submit my CEC application in January/February but seeing how things currently are there's no way it'll be processed by July. Which means I'll have to apply for bridging work permit anyway.

Which brings me to my dilemma - maybe it makes more sense to extend my current work permit first and deal with PR application later in the year? Will the work permit extension be processed significantly quicker to justify applying for it instead of PR?

I would really appreciate any advice! Immigration procedures are so stressful and covid makes it so much worse. I'm feeling very conflicted :(
You should probably use the processing times tool.

Certainly work permits processing times are significantly shorter. PR is 6 months but can very frequently run close to 1 year or even more.

Doesn't make sense to delay applying for PR though. Get started with your passport right away, no need to wait either. Then apply for either BOWP or extension of PGWP when the times comes if needed.