+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend my work permit while waiting for CSQ/PR

danieltiendat

Oct 29, 2015
Hello all,

I am currently working in Quebec. I have currently applied for the PR through Quebec Skilled Worker. My 3-year PGWP is going to expire in August 2016.

I would like to make sure I can still work legally while waiting for the CSQ/PR. I have researched on CIC website to find out the solution to extend my work permit, and I am confused because there are too many options related to "extending work permit".

So my questions are:

1) what kind of work permit should I apply for? Open work permit or extend PGWP?

2) In both cases, will the new extension be added up to my current work permit according to the 4-year-maximum policy?

3) I read on Canadianimmigrant.ca about "Beyond Post-graduate work permit". It says that I can apply for PGWP LMOs (after the current 3-year PGWP expires; and my employer is willing to pay the fee and help me with this.) and it generally issues for two years, which should be enough time for processing permanent residence application. Is this still true?

4) I also read on CIC that a person who works in Quebec and wants to extend work permit can apply with positive LMIA and CAQ. Does this work permit will be counted as new work permit or it stills adds to the 4-year-maximum policy?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.