+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend my stay in Canada as a Visitor

Nanami

Jul 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2016
I'm in Canada and my visitor visa expires Next month on the 7th and I would like to extend my stay for another 6 months or so if possible. It says that in order to be common law I have to live with my significant other for a year and that's what we're trying to do. On CIC it doesn't show the application to extend my stay as a visitor online. So I assume I have to do it on paper and mail it. Does anyone know if there's a post office near by to make sure my application gets to where it needs to go on time? Is Alberta the only place?

Thank you in advance - again :]

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Nanami said:
I'm in Canada and my visitor visa expires Next month on the 7th and I would like to extend my stay for another 6 months or so if possible. It says that in order to be common law I have to live with my significant other for a year and that's what we're trying to do. On CIC it doesn't show the application to extend my stay as a visitor online. So I assume I have to do it on paper and mail it. Does anyone know if there's a post office near by to make sure my application gets to where it needs to go on time? Is Alberta the only place?

1.- You want to extend your "visitor status" (there is no such thing as a visitor visa).
2.- All paperwork is online, use the tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
3.- A post office? This doesn't make sense... maybe you mean a "CIC office"? Anyway, Ottawa is the most common one, but your file can get transfered to any place in the world if needed, so no point in what you are trying to do.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Nanami said:

You will want to apply soon. It's 30 days before your Visitor status expires.
Let us know if you have other questions.
I received your inbox message and have replied to you.

Nanami

Jul 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2016
TracyCa64 said:
You will want to apply soon. It's 30 days before your Visitor status expires.
Let us know if you have other questions.
I received your inbox message and have replied to you.

It shows this when I click on the "apply online" link

Not all applications can be submitted online at this time.
Is your application available online?
Currently, you can apply online for:

a visitor visa;
a study permit;
a work permit;
coverage under the Interim Federal Health Program; and
permanent residence through our Express Entry program.

So we downloaded the package and doing it on paper instead. I guess we put it as express mail?

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Nanami said:
It shows this when I click on the "apply online" link

Not all applications can be submitted online at this time.
Is your application available online?
Currently, you can apply online for:

a visitor visa;
a study permit;
a work permit;
coverage under the Interim Federal Health Program; and
permanent residence through our Express Entry program.

So we downloaded the package and doing it on paper instead. I guess we put it as express mail?
Did you try this link? There is a "Check Eligibility" to click on to see if you are eligible to complete your app online.

Also I think I made a mistake. I think as long as you apply within 30 days before your visitor status expires you are okay. I don't think you have to apply on the 30th day. Hopefully a more experienced member can confirm this.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

Nanami

Jul 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Did you try this link? There is a "Check Eligibility" to click on to see if you are eligible to complete your app online.

Also I think I made a mistake. I think as long as you apply within 30 days before your visitor status expires you are okay. I don't think you have to apply on the 30th day. Hopefully a more experienced member can confirm this.
I just finished the application on paper and on the 7th of this month will be 30 days no? and printed it and I have tried that a lot of times... it keeps telling me express entry... and when I click continue it asks me about the CELPIP or IELTS and I didn't take that because we were advised to go through the sponsorship route.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Nanami said:
I just finished the application on paper and on the 7th of this month will be 30 days no? and printed it and I have tried that a lot of times... it keeps telling me express entry... and when I click continue it asks me about the CELPIP or IELTS and I didn't take that because we were advised to go through the sponsorship route.
Wow, that is weird. You can mail it in, but it is way faster to do it online. When you were answering the questions did you answer what you want to do in Canada as "visit" or "move there". I was just trying to figure out why it didn't work for you.

Good Luck!!

Nanami

Jul 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Wow, that is weird. You can mail it in, but it is way faster to do it online. When you were answering the questions did you answer what you want to do in Canada as "visit" or "move there". I was just trying to figure out why it didn't work for you.

Good Luck!!
I answered "Move there". I was gonna try to put in "visit" but I forgot to try that option and I just tried as soon as I read this and it says I may be eligible now!! Wow, I was doing it wrong this whole time ::) haha. Thank you so much for your replies, they helped a lot.
by the way I replied to your message, I hope you got it. I don't know if it went through, laptop was acting up. I tried to resend and it said I already did.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Nanami said:
I answered "Move there". I was gonna try to put in "visit" but I forgot to try that option and I just tried as soon as I read this and it says I may be eligible now!! Wow, I was doing it wrong this whole time ::) haha. Thank you so much for your replies, they helped a lot.
by the way I replied to your message, I hope you got it. I don't know if it went through, laptop was acting up. I tried to resend and it said I already did.
Yay!! I am so glad it worked for you. Yes, I did get your reply. Sorry I haven't written back yet. I loved reading your story.

Anytime you have questions, just ask. Everyone here is very helpful.

ChihiroSen

Sep 16, 2015
I am somewhat in a similar boat here, and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on my situation.

I arrived 23APR15 into Canada, and have submitted an application for the Family Class Sponsorship visa (but as you all know, that process takes forever). However, my "6 months" duration in Canada ends 23OCT15, which is soon. I have also applied for the visitor extension 23SEP15 online. I have not received any further info on my application, other than the fact that it has been submitted successfully.
However, I'm getting concerned as to what happens if I haven't heard back from CIC by the time my "6 months" is up? I have seen something called an 'implied' status somewhere, but it does not elaborate.

I have heard also that if I leave the country, then the Family Class Sponsorship will automatically be cancelled, so I'm in a stressed out state here. Any info will help!!

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
ChihiroSen said:
I am somewhat in a similar boat here, and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on my situation.

I arrived 23APR15 into Canada, and have submitted an application for the Family Class Sponsorship visa (but as you all know, that process takes forever). However, my "6 months" duration in Canada ends 23OCT15, which is soon. I have also applied for the visitor extension 23SEP15 online. I have not received any further info on my application, other than the fact that it has been submitted successfully.
However, I'm getting concerned as to what happens if I haven't heard back from CIC by the time my "6 months" is up? I have seen something called an 'implied' status somewhere, but it does not elaborate.

I have heard also that if I leave the country, then the Family Class Sponsorship will automatically be cancelled, so I'm in a stressed out state here. Any info will help!!
I was told that the extension application is now taking almost 4 months to receive. I know you can log into My CIC and check the status. Yes, you have "implied status" if you don't receive your extension on time. It means you don't have to leave until you find out if you were approved or not. So if you don't find out by Oct 23, you will be okay to stay.

If you applied for PR via INLAND application then you can't leave Canada. But you should be fine, just wait for your extension.

ChihiroSen

Sep 16, 2015
Hi TracyCa!

Thanks for that info. Guess, I'm starting to get panicky as I didn't know what to do! It's like, can't leave as I did apply "Inland" for the PR and my visitor status is ending! The last time I checked My CIC was 5 days ago, when I actually submitted the initial question, as I know that they have received it, but no new notification has appeared since then. :eek:

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
ChihiroSen said:
Hi TracyCa!

Thanks for that info. Guess, I'm starting to get panicky as I didn't know what to do! It's like, can't leave as I did apply "Inland" for the PR and my visitor status is ending! The last time I checked My CIC was 5 days ago, when I actually submitted the initial question, as I know that they have received it, but no new notification has appeared since then. :eek:
I understand completely, but there isn't much you can do. I just can't believe that it is taking so long for visitor extensions.
You will probably be approved for your extension if you sent everything and also proof that you applied for your PR.
Hang in there ChihiroSen!!

kemperguitar

Feb 24, 2016
Wow.... I didn't know it can take up to 4 months for extension of visitor VISA.

My Visitor VISA will expire on March 31st.

In this case, should I apply for extension today??

I haven't submitted my Express Entry profile yet.

What would you recommend me to do?

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
kemperguitar said:
Wow.... I didn't know it can take up to 4 months for extension of visitor VISA.

My Visitor VISA will expire on March 31st.

In this case, should I apply for extension today??

I haven't submitted my Express Entry profile yet.

What would you recommend me to do?
The website says to apply 30 days before your status expires. As long as you apply within 30 days you are okay.
I am sorry I don't know what an Express Entry profile is.