+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expunged DUI - admissibility

mch88

Sep 26, 2018
Hi all,

Issue at hand is a DUI for a US citizen looking to work in Canada. The state has implemented an accelerated rehabilitative disposition (ARD) program which allows one to complete voluntary rehab and on completion, the charges are dismissed and the records expunged.

I've read various contradicting views on whether this makes someone inadmissible, although many law firms advertise that a legal opinion letter (which I'm sure is a money maker for them) to solidify that one is indeed admissible to Canada.

I've actually looked at the ENF manual used by CBSA officers:
A conviction does not exist in the following situations:
 the conviction is set aside on appeal;
 the court grants an absolute or conditional discharge as provided for in the Criminal Code;
the person is granted a pardon in a foreign jurisdiction and the pardon is recognized as equivalent to a Canadian record suspension.

As well:
To assist officers in determining whether a conviction has occurred in the United States (U.S.), the following table provides some commonly used terminology in the U.S. along with the relative Canadian interpretation. All officers should use these interpretations so that the various provisions of the Act may be applied both consistently and universally.
Expunged Not a conviction. Expunged means to strike out; obliterate; mark for deletion; to efface completely; deemed to have never occurred.

Some say an expunged DUI still isn't admissible, due to the "committing an act" provision, where despite having no conviction, the act itself is still considered an offence in Canadian law. Once again as per the manual:
The “committing an act” inadmissibility provisions would generally not be applied in the following scenarios:  in most cases, when authorities in the foreign jurisdiction indicate they would not lay a charge or make known to an officer their decision or intent to drop the charges;
the trial is concluded and no conviction results (for example, acquittal, discharge, deferral);
the person admits to committing the act but has received a record suspension or the record is expunged;
 the act was committed in Canada.

MY MAIN CURIOSITY IS:
I'm curious to see if anyone's been in this situation before and whether they have been successful with their respective applications (PR, visa, etc). I've looked throughout the forum and there's been many situations discussed, but never any closure as to what happened in that scenario, and if they were successful or not. Please chime in, if you have been in a similar scenario or you know of a similar scenario - I'd like to hear how it turned out.

Reactions: junglena

Femlala

Nov 16, 2015
@mch88

I don't really know how the disposition of the US compares to the Canadian law, but what I know for sure is that if the crime doesn't lead to a conviction, she just has to have all the documents to prove it and she should be fine. Without the documents as proof, then there could be problems.

She will have to get an FBI check done, if this comes back with a positive match that says she was convicted then there could be an inadmisibility issue other wise it's not going to be an issue. There will be delays for sure. All they care about is weather there's a conviction or not. They don't care if she commited the act or plead guilty. They care about the disposition of the case. Hope this helps

junglena

Mar 5, 2019
Hi all,

Issue at hand is a DUI for a US citizen looking to work in Canada. The state has implemented an accelerated rehabilitative disposition (ARD) program which allows one to complete voluntary rehab and on completion, the charges are dismissed and the records expunged.

I've read various contradicting views on whether this makes someone inadmissible, although many law firms advertise that a legal opinion letter (which I'm sure is a money maker for them) to solidify that one is indeed admissible to Canada.

MY MAIN CURIOSITY IS:
I'm curious to see if anyone's been in this situation before and whether they have been successful with their respective applications (PR, visa, etc). I've looked throughout the forum and there's been many situations discussed, but never any closure as to what happened in that scenario, and if they were successful or not. Please chime in, if you have been in a similar scenario or you know of a similar scenario - I'd like to hear how it turned out.

Hi!

I am in the same boat! I got a DUI in 2010 in California, paid all the fines, finished traffic and AA schools. Since I have to apply for a Canadian student visa this June, I decided to get my DUI expunged and submitted all the paperwork this February. However, I keep coming across the articles that an expunged DUI doesn't clear you in Canada and won't change your inadmissibility status. However, I contacted an immigration lawyer in Canada, and he assured me that with his legal opinion letter there should be no problem entering Canada. Also, I am not sure whether the conviction wouldn't appear on my FBI background check.

How long has it been since you got your DUI expunged?

Also, can I ask whether you entered Canada already? Or when are you planning to go?

Feel free to PM me!

TIA

Last edited:

Ronnybee

Jan 21, 2019
Please I love to know my fate too.Mine was a dismissed retail theft.And it’s barely a year old.I completed my community hours and was not convicted.I do not know if it will affect my Canada pr before I proceed to apply