+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry's 1 year of continuous work is NOT possible for a Seafarer

chaokeeng

Jun 3, 2020
Seafarer's maximum continuous service period on board a vessel without leave is 11 months.
Note: Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.
A seafarer will never be able to meet this requirement even when working for more than 30 hours per week.

Are there any exemptions to the Express Entry's 1 year of continuous work requirement?

lidsds

Jul 30, 2020
I am looking for the same answer.... Did you get any insights on your query???
I am too a seafarers looking for this answer and super confused.

Coz our vacation time is always UNPAID VACATION but we are still employed by the company.
Probably if we can get a reference/work exp letter from company stating the same and showing us employed since 1st contract, i guess it should work.
But still need expert review and comments on this....

Seniors plz helpppppp!!!!!

chaokeeng

Jun 3, 2020
I am looking for the same answer.... Did you get any insights on your query???
I am too a seafarers looking for this answer and super confused.

Coz our vacation time is always UNPAID VACATION but we are still employed by the company.
Probably if we can get a reference/work exp letter from company stating the same and showing us employed since 1st contract, i guess it should work.
But still need expert review and comments on this....

Seniors plz helpppppp!!!!!
No insights.

Anyone knowledgeable on this matter?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend that you post in the Express Entry section of the forum.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Seafarer's maximum continuous service period on board a vessel without leave is 11 months.

A seafarer will never be able to meet this requirement even when working for more than 30 hours per week.

Are there any exemptions to the Express Entry's 1 year of continuous work requirement?
This old post from a seafarers' Express Entry thread discusses and finds a way around it:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/deck-officers-water-transport-noc-2273.488195/post-6217387

You'd have to get your agency to mention in the experience letter that you've been employed full-time and continuously.

It's just like any other employee with an allowed set of leaves.

Reactions: lidsds