+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry vs Self-Employed?

DavidZAllen

Feb 22, 2017
Hello everyone!

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

Previously I had been intending to immigrate to Canada under the Federal Self-Employed category. However, I was very dismayed at the long processing time for that program (often over five years) so I have been looking into other options.

I own a small 3D animation company, Black Plasma Studios, LLC. I employ three animators besides myself and we have been creating animations full time for Black Plasma Studios, LLC for the past two years now.

In the USA we report our income as "self-employed", so I figured that was the route to go with immigration. However, since my animators have two years of full-time experience at my company, could they not apply for immigration under Express Entry through the Federal Skilled Worker program? And would I be considered having two years full-time experience working for my own company?

Our profession most aligns with "5241 Graphic designers and illustrators", which states that "They are almost solely self-employed." Does self-employed work which is full-time still qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker program?

It also might be worth noting that myself and my animators don't have many of the "Main Duties" listed on that page, as they don't really apply to creating 3D animations.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I would much prefer an immigration program that did not take five or more years. Let me know if you need any more clarifications, I'd be happy to elaborate on anything.

Thanks in advance,
David Z

DavidZAllen

Feb 22, 2017
I would like to try one more time seeking help on this question before posting elsewhere, or potentially paying for an immigration lawyer to get answers.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated :)

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
You can apply as self employed through express entry. Average time is 6 months.

mani1004

May 27, 2014
Hi, I need assistance from you. I am applying in express entry and I have work experience from March 2016 to July 2016 as self employed but in the same field as I did my degree. From July 2016 I have a full time permanent job. All this work experience is in canada. My employer for my self employed job from March 2016 to July 2016 is giving me letter that i worked full time with 37 hours per week. Would my experience from March 2016 to july 2016 count towards my Express entry file which I am planning to Submit in March ? Please advice.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kryt0n said:
You can apply as self employed through express entry. Average time is 6 months.
but only if the work experience is "foreign" (non-Canadian). Sorry Mani, if the work experience is in Canada, it is not eligible.

The single most important document that is considered "proof of work experience" is a letter of reference / letter of experience from the employer. Since self-employed persons cannot write a letter on their own behalf, the challenge is coming up with the alternative documentation.

See the section on proof of work experience, there's a paragraph on self-employment.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Reactions: Goodlucker

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
but only if the work experience is "foreign" (non-Canadian). Sorry Mani, if the work experience is in Canada, it is not eligible.

The single most important document that is considered "proof of work experience" is a letter of reference / letter of experience from the employer. Since self-employed persons cannot write a letter on their own behalf, the challenge is coming up with the alternative documentation.

See the section on proof of work experience, there's a paragraph on self-employment.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
Hi,
CIC mentions that the proof of work experience/ 'services (work delivered)' need to come from clients along with payment proofs for those services. My question is what NOC code would any self employed choose in the express entry profile? For example, being an owner would that be NOC 0 position or go for a NOC A/B job code that best aligns with the services the self-employed delivered? @jes_ON @scylla
Thank you for your time in advance.