+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Vs Common Law Sponsorship

beckyq533

Jan 4, 2020
Hi!

I am Irish on IEC for two years. My first year just ended and I'm looking into staying longer.
I have been working in cabinetry for nearly a year (in April it will be) so I technically qualify for express entry. However my points are lower than the lowest candidate they let in last year. Which means I would also need to apply for province nominee to have a chance(600 points if elected). I am at about 370 and the lowest was 470.

I also have a common law partner here. He is a citizen. Would it be the better route? Can I still work if he were to sponsor me? Can I try doing express entry and if I don't get accepted can I go this route instead? He is a student working part time, will this make a difference?

Any info would help. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi!

I am Irish on IEC for two years. My first year just ended and I'm looking into staying longer.
I have been working in cabinetry for nearly a year (in April it will be) so I technically qualify for express entry. However my points are lower than the lowest candidate they let in last year. Which means I would also need to apply for province nominee to have a chance(600 points if elected). I am at about 370 and the lowest was 470.

I also have a common law partner here. He is a citizen. Would it be the better route? Can I still work if he were to sponsor me? Can I try doing express entry and if I don't get accepted can I go this route instead? He is a student working part time, will this make a difference?

Any info would help. Thank you!
You have no chance at EE without PNP. The scores are not going to drop that low.

If you are already common-law, why bother waiting? Just apply for sponsorship now. It is easier than EE. You can work as long as your current work permit is valid and if you apply inland, you can include an OWP app as well.