+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry, Permanent Residence, CPCO, Border Crossing

Waves

Nov 17, 2018
My experience (and big thanks to these forums - they were very helpful in my case).

September 30th, 2017:
IELTS test taken
October 13th, 2017: IELTS test results received
November 11th, 2017: WES Ed. Credentials Assessment Application received (by WES)
January 3rd, 2018: WES Ed. Credentials Assessment Report received
January 15th, 2018: Express Entry Profile completed
January 22nd, 2018: *Provincial Interest Letter received (valid for 6 months)
February 21st, 2018:Invitation to Apply received
April 5th, 2018: *Permanent Residency Application submitted
April 6th, 2018: Acknowledgement of Receipt received
August 14th, 2018: *Additional Family Info – IMM5406 requested by CIC
September 4th, 2018: CPCO Final Request received (submitted within a week)
September 14th, 2018: New photos requested by CIC (submitted within a week)
October 5th, 2018: Passport received with Counterfoil doc.
October 15th, 2018:*Border crossed to activate PR status

*Provincial Interest Letter received: my points were close enough to get Invitation to Apply in the general Express Entry pool which I preferred (rather than go through a specific province) so I kept it as a Plan B (eventually, I did not come to need it at all).

*Permanent Residency Application submitted: some parts explained here:
a) Education:I scanned my diplomas, WES report and IELTS report in one document

b) Employment:I scanned a letter from my boss, my contract and 6 months of paystubs in one document

c) Police Certificates:while the instructions on the website asked for certificates from my country of citizenship and my country of residence (10+ years), they later changed it on my account that they only needed one certificate for my country of residence. I submitted both since I had already ordered a police certificate from my country of citizenship via embassy.

d) Proof of Funds:My bank did not know how to do this (the way I wanted it), so I made a one sheet document with all my accounts and the information requested, made an appointment with a bank official, went over the information with him to make sure everything is correct and had him sign and date the document. If you have received some money as a gift, then, you also need a signed/dated Affidavit or Gift Deed explaining the source of the funds.

e) Fees:$550 (PR Fee), $490 (Right to PR fee) – all in Canadian dollars.

*Additional Family Info – IMM5406: This document is protected so it may not open in some browsers (like Safari needed some extra extensions). Same applied to many of the forms on their website.

*Border Crossing: I did “short landing” on the North Dakota/Manitoba border since I live very close to the border. The agent(s) was (were) very nice and helpful. The agent asked me right away how long I was planning to stay, and I told him that I was going back the same day because I had to work. There was no problem with that! He also asked if I was carrying pepper sprays, tasers or weapons: found out that pepper sprays… are not allowed in Canada. The border crossing (both sides) took less than one hour.

Good luck to everyone in the process and share to help others!