+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - less than one year skilled work experience but with new LMIA???

bradae

Jan 27, 2013
HI

So, my skilled work experience is only 8 months after i studied and graduated here in canada from being a TFW for 3 1/2 years. And now I am unemployed because my PGWP expired. Now I'm under visitor visa. What if i applied for a company and convinced them that i can achieved an LMIA for PR (that new 10-day processing thing) and gave me a job offer and work them for free in the mean time? So my main question is, am i still eligible for express entry with only 8 months canadian skilled work experience but was able to achieve an LMIA for PR application? Thanks guys. You guys are a really big help.

CanadaBound90

Mar 30, 2016
I don't think so you have to have a minimium of one year of full time equivalent work experience to even get into the CRS pool to enjoy the boost from an LMIA.

bradae

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering since Express Entry is a point system, LMIA is already 600 points. In a sense, I am more than qualified to meet the minimum points required to be pulled out of the pool and received an ITA. Do you think I have a strong case if that happens?

-Thank you.

JWZR421

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Meds
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2016
bradae said:
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering since Express Entry is a point system, LMIA is already 600 points. In a sense, I am more than qualified to meet the minimum points required to be pulled out of the pool and received an ITA. Do you think I have a strong case if that happens?

-Thank you.
Given 8 months of experience for that NOC, will the Gov't issue LMIA for that? I am not sure about this though. Also, even if you have points for the LMIA once you get a hold of it, EE system will not be able to put you into one category. Let's say you are aiming for FSW, they require at least 1 year of the same job description as your NOC which you mentioned you don't have yet. You cannot also fit into CEC since it also needs 1 year of Canadian experience of that NOC. I guess if you have LMIA, you apply for a work permit, and aim to finish just the 4 months left for your 1 year experience, given this, your both qualified for FSW and CEC. :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
bradae said:

-Thank you.
No, 600 points from LMIA is not enough. You also have to follow the rules of the economic immigration streams, in your case Canadian Experience Class, which requires at least 12 months of work experience in Canada.

Check the minimum requirements:

CEC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

You won't be allowed to make an eligible Express Entry profile with under 12 months of work experience.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
bradae said:
HI

So, my skilled work experience is only 8 months after i studied and graduated here in canada from being a TFW for 3 1/2 years. And now I am unemployed because my PGWP expired. Now I'm under visitor visa. What if i applied for a company and convinced them that i can achieved an LMIA for PR (that new 10-day processing thing) and gave me a job offer and work them for free in the mean time? So my main question is, am i still eligible for express entry with only 8 months canadian skilled work experience but was able to achieve an LMIA for PR application? Thanks guys. You guys are a really big help.
I would look carefully about performing any work even if free whilst in the country on a visitor visa if that is your planned approach.