+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry, Leave after getting PR card COVID

jbj274

Jun 29, 2018
Hi,
I have COPR and will be landing in Canada in a few months. Currently in IRCC, it is stated that due to COVID, we only can come to Canada only if we want to settle and we can’t leave. My question is what if for any reason I have to leave Canada for a few months after I have received my PR? Can my PR be revoked if I decide to leave?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi,
I have COPR and will be landing in Canada in a few months. Currently in IRCC, it is stated that due to COVID, we only can come to Canada only if we want to settle and we can’t leave. My question is what if for any reason I have to leave Canada for a few months after I have received my PR? Can my PR be revoked if I decide to leave?
Where did you read you cannot leave?

jbj274

Jun 29, 2018
Where did you read you cannot leave?
from CIC website :

If you’re outside Canada and your COPR and permanent resident visa are still valid
We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021.
You must also

• be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary) and
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
from CIC website :

If you’re outside Canada and your COPR and permanent resident visa are still valid
We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021.
You must also

• be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary) and
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days
This is new :oops:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes short landings are not allowed because it increases uneccessary traffic into Canada which increases the chances of covid entering Canada. No your PR can not be revolved if it is discovered that you didn’t settle in Canada permanently.

jbj274

Jun 29, 2018
Yes short landings are not allowed because it increases uneccessary traffic into Canada which increases the chances of covid entering Canada. No your PR can not be revolved if it is discovered that you didn’t settle in Canada permanently.
Thanks for the information, will it cause any issues for a later time? For example not renewing PR if needed ?
Or is this rule only means that you have to be in Canada till you get your PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the information, will it cause any issues for a later time? For example not renewing PR if needed ?
Or is this rule only means that you have to be in Canada till you get your PR?
The rule is meant to limit traffic in and out of Canada to prevent the spread of covid. In general Canada has stressed that travel is only recommended for essential reasons. Technically you can be denied boarding or entry but I have not seen that other than at land borders. No it will not impact PR card renewal.

sumcando

Mar 16, 2019
@jbj274

have you already done landing ? How was your experience ?

also the text that you have pasted from CIC website is nowhere to be found now. Can you pls provide the link?

Last edited:

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
@jbj274

have you already done landing ? How was your experience ?

also the text that you have pasted from CIC website is nowhere to be found now. Can you pls provide the link?
It won't be since they have removed the non-essential travel guidance for Canadians and PR's at this point. In preparation for the US fully re-opening to vaxxed travellers in just over a week, Canadians are no longer advised against leaving the country for non-essential reasons. Of course to even leave the country by then you will realistically need to be fully vaxxed since Canada won't allow the unvaccinated to fly and the US won't accept unvaccinated foreigners over the land border.

Reactions: armoured

sumcando

Mar 16, 2019
Thanks @Bloodrose - Makes sense.
So am I correct in understanding that international travellers (non US) will also be able to get in and get out of Canada. Is it fair to say that in a way softlanding is possible?

Can I also ask if international travellers with valid US visa (tourist) can make their landing via road? Ofcourse, once US opens up from Nov 8th

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Thanks @Bloodrose - Makes sense.
So am I correct in understanding that international travellers (non US) will also be able to get in and get out of Canada. Is it fair to say that in a way softlanding is possible?

Can I also ask if international travellers with valid US visa (tourist) can make their landing via road? Ofcourse, once US opens up from Nov 8th
I don't see why not because once you are a PR, you are free to leave the country and return as you see fit anyway as long as you have the required documentation and don't breach RO.

You can land via road at a land crossing if you want to. A lot of people do it that way. You don't need to wait for the US to open up either since it could be considered essential travel.