+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry in a nutshell

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
g126 said:
Raj,

Since you're very well informed I was wondering if you could help me... I've looked around and can't find a decent post with what to expect Post AOR. I mean from what we see in the MyCIC page:

I saw a few posts that detail the background check process, but they were quite old (2010). They talked about R10 and A11.2 checks which probably happen in the Review of submitted documents, right?

If you are referring to this, then yes, it is an old post but the crux is the same. That post explains in detail about the BG check process and most of that still applies.

R10 and A11.2 are preliminary checks and usually is completed at Ottawa. From my observation of GCMS notes of a few applications, these checks seem to be done fairly quickly - within a month or a month-and-a-half from the date of the AOR. After this, the file might be transferred to LVO on grounds of workload re-distribution.

R10 is completeness check. If any documents are missing (like PCCs, proof of medical exam etc), then the file is refused right away. You'll see applicants getting refusals within a week or two (usually) if any documents are missing. This check is brutally stringent and even minor mistakes on the part of the applicant can lead to refusal.

A11.2 is primarily to check if the applicant still meets MEC (Minimum Eligibility Criteria). Points and other eligibility criteria are checked in this phase. Learn more about it here.

Review of submitted documents only changes status when they request any additional documentation (RPRF/Schedule A/Schedule 4/Travel History etc and you submit it post AOR).

From your status I have inferred that soon my Eligibility will changed to "Passed" (hopefully) and the Medical will change to "In Progress", at that time it seems that the background check will also change from NN to NS. After the Medicals changed to Passed, the background check will change back to NN...

No. Eligibility will not change to "Passed" up until the point your application is approved (and closed). This only happens after PPR.

Medicals did not go to "IP" status for me. It directly went from NN --> Passed.

BG checks progresses differently for different people. From my observation, many inland and FSW outland applicants see their BG status changing to "In Progress" rather quickly than their PNP/O counterparts (This might also depend on the VO). A lot of factors like criminality, security, misrepresentation etc are checked as a part of BG checks.

This post might give you a little idea of what to expect. Again, it varies from person to person and VO to VO - use this only as a general guideline.

If you can point me to a post where this is well explained I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Well, you could join a month specific thread (for you it would be January) and discuss with your peers. Create a spreadsheet and document the names of the members and their status updates. Doing this will give you a lot of useful insights into the current processing trend.

After 3 - 4 months post AOR, you might want to order GCMS notes in order to see where your application stands. They take one month to extract and send you notes. Learn about ordering notes
here.

As a general comment, I always recommend that the applicant assumes his/her file will take 6 months to be processed in order to avoid disappointment. Do not compare the status of your application with a peer (You can observe but don't lament over it :) ). Following this will save you a lot of disappointment (Lesson learnt from OINP).

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
pranavchauhan said:
Hi Experts!

My university documents were sent and reached to WES toronto on last Wednesday. How ever, the status is still showing "waiting for required documents". How much time they usually take to update the status ?

Thanks!
Their standard processing time is 20 days I suppose. If you don't see proper status changes within that time frame, then you can contact them using their contact form.

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
Thank you very much Raj, as always you've been very helpful!

Good luck and speedy PR.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
pranavchauhan said:
Hi Experts!

My university documents were sent and reached to WES toronto on last Wednesday. How ever, the status is still showing "waiting for required documents". How much time they usually take to update the status ?

Thanks!
They are taking a lot of time for everything these days. My spouse documents were received by them on Dec 19th, but the document received status was updated only on December 27, it was like 6 business days. Now it is stuck in that status till today.

pranavchauhan

Mar 7, 2015
DEEPCUR said:
They are taking a lot of time for everything these days. My spouse documents were received by them on Dec 19th, but the document received status was updated only on December 27, it was like 6 business days. Now it is stuck in that status till today.
Wow. I checked through tracker and my docs were received on jan 4th but status has not been updated yet. So i am hoping to get updated by end of this week!
well , good luck to you!

pranavchauhan

Mar 7, 2015
rajkamalmohanram said:
Their standard processing time is 20 days I suppose. If you don't see proper status changes within that time frame, then you can contact them using their contact form.
Thank you, raj. I think it should get updated within this week!

pranavchauhan

Mar 7, 2015
Can I get points for Canadian self employed work experience in EE ?
- It was exact the same duties and job I was doing last year what I am doing this year for same employer. The only difference for last year is that I was on self employment contract.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
pranavchauhan said:
Can I get points for Canadian self employed work experience in EE ?
- It was exact the same duties and job I was doing last year what I am doing this year for same employer. The only difference for last year is that I was on self employment contract.
I don't think you can claim points for the period you were self-employed in Canada.

Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
Hi Raj,today also i called to cic and i met one good agent and he told me that everything is passed and met but they are waiting the results of my security check from third party,so who is the third party?He told me from today to till may 10 if i didn't hear anything then call us back,why that much so long?
Thanks in advance,
Rabin

minubasil

Jan 8, 2017
Thank you for Reply.

Dear Raj, How do i calculate my eligibility for Express Entry? I mean getting more than 67 points out 100 or via. CRS.

I'm bit confused now. I'm working in Kuwait and my family is also here. My wife also working and and we got IELTS score band of 6.5 (for me ) and 7 (for my wife) but we do not have a job offer from Canada or we did not study in Canada or We do not have any blood relating in Canada to get a good CRS. What shall we do? I have a friend who is a canadian national. Can my friend Canadian national help me to get a Job Offer without registering in Job Bank or LIMA.

Please help me to sort out the doubts and confusion.

Anna999

Jan 4, 2017
Really informative thank you for taking the time to share.

I am already in Canada on an open work permit. My employer has submitted an LMIA, this is not mentioned in your write up but I believe this is a path to express entry?

It is a long process, two months and the application fee still has not even been taken!

dralfa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
dralfa said:
thank you sir for your help. but, i am a bit confused still.
my exact situation is like this.

my father-in-law has 2lacs to give me as a gift. he has asset{2 houses} to show in net-worth certificate.
my brother(presently in the UK and will be here in march) has 3.5lacs in his account to gift me. since i need 8lacs fund as a gift. my father will transfer 3lacs{loan taken by my another brother that he will give to my dad} in my brother's account and then he will transfer 6lacs to my account.

now, as you said that i can't take gift deed from 2 person. should i ask my father-in-law to transfer his money to my brother's account and then transfer the entire 8lacs from him to me??

i read somewhere that net-worth certificate is needed from donee and donor. since my brother don't have any other asset except that account balance that he is going to gift me {he has his pf of 3 years}. what should i do?? take a gift from him alone or from both him and my father-in-law. is it needed to show enough amount is left in donors account to support himself after he donates money to me as a gift???

second que.
is it ok ,as per -cic and IT department of india, to transfer 5lacs IN MY BROTHER'S ACCOUNT to give me gift??

third que
do we need to take a gift deed signed from donor exactly on the day of transfer or we can make it afterwards?? since my brother is in the UK at present.
please suggest experts.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
RabinJi said:
Hi Raj,today also i called to cic and i met one good agent and he told me that everything is passed and met but they are waiting the results of my security check from third party,so who is the third party?He told me from today to till may 10 if i didn't hear anything then call us back,why that much so long?
Thanks in advance,
Rabin
You might find a suitable answer within the following post -->

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/background-checks-explained-t39578.0.html;msg267950#msg267950

A part of the security check process could be outsourced to third parties and other policing agencies (Interpol/FBI etc) and if they aren't submitting a report on time, then your application might be delayed. The "threat level" of the countries you have visited, number of countries you have been to etc might decide how long security checks take.

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
Thanks Raj,waiting to hear good news and tell you immediately. ::) ???
Rabin