+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - How Many Reference Letters

AGoodSoul

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
Dear All Seniors,

I have got my WES creditials done, IELTS (with 7.5 overall) now I am collecting documents & experience letters.
I have changed 7 organizations since 2001. Not all will be able to give me reference letter.
The NOC varies drastically as I have changed profession since 2008.

What about freelance or consultancy ??

In such a case, how many experience letters do I need to collect??

2001- Computer Lab Faculty (aptech) - Franchisee closed.
2002-03 - Office Assitant in other country -- No experience letter. But have proof and visa cancellation docs
2003-04 - small career gap
2004-06 - Customer Service BPO Call center - Have old experience letter (shud I ask recommendation letter?)
2006-08- Customer Service Backoffice Correspondence (No letter, they wont give also)
2008-10 - Portfolio Analyst - (sr. PF Analyst) Online Advertising - (non content, no social media)
2010-13- Online Ad / Digital Marketing / Social Media (got promoted twice here, had a team too Social media Manager / Project Manager, then Head Strategy)
2013-14: Freelance / Consultant for a year (Got a letter from consulting institute)
2016 - till date: Sr, Manager - Innovation >> in Online Mktg Agency /Digital Marketing/Strategy /etc (no direct team but manage multiple projects)

Along with this I used to work part time helping a cultural organzation with digital marketing and social media for 3 years (over 24 hrs per week)

Can someone please guide me which NOC applies. NOC 0124 or 1123

Also, please advise if I have to get recommendation letters from all past employers or only from 2008 (online advertising ones)

Thank you very much in advance. Pleeeease reply to this thread, I am in dire need.

Last edited:

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All Seniors,

I have got my WES creditials done, IELTS (with 7.5 overall) now I am collecting documents & experience letters.
I have changed 7 organizations since 2001. Not all will be able to give me reference letter.
The NOC varies drastically as I have changed profession since 2008.

What about freelance or consultancy ??

In such a case, how many experience letters do I need to collect??

2001- Computer Lab Faculty (aptech) - Franchisee closed.
2002-03 - Office Assitant in other country -- No experience letter. But have proof and visa cancellation docs
2003-04 - small career gap
2004-06 - Customer Service BPO Call center - Have old experience letter (shud I ask recommendation letter?)
2006-08- Customer Service Backoffice Correspondence (No letter, they wont give also)
2008-10 - Portfolio Analyst - (sr. PF Analyst) Online Advertising - (non content, no social media)
2010-13- Online Ad / Digital Marketing / Social Media (got promoted twice here, had a team too Social media Manager, then Strategy Head)
2013-14: Freelance / Consultant for a year (Got a letter from consulting institute)
2016 - till date: Sr, Manager - Innovation >> in Online Mktg Agency /Digital Marketing/Strategy /etc (no direct team but manage multiple projects)

Along with this I used to work part time helping a cultural organzation with digital marketing and social media for 3 years (over 24 hrs per week)

Can someone please guide me which NOC applies. NOC 0124 or 1123

Also, please advise if I have to get recommendation letters from all past employers or only from 2008 (online advertising ones)

Thank you very much in advance. Pleeeease reply to this thread, I am in dire need.
what I would do in your position is get the reference letters for the jobs from 2010-2013, leave the freelance one, then add the post 2016 one... leave the rest

you only get points for 3 years experience out of the last 10, even if you have 20 years experience. so depending on what NOC you're choosing , you need to submit documents for that. I would just leave out the rest... if and when you get ITA, you can explain this situation with letter of explanation (You dont need to worry about this now)

what NOC applies you have to make a choice yourself, unfortunately its pretty hard for someone to guide on NOC part. but as long the NOC matches 60% of job duties mentioned on the CIC page, it should be fine. Its not like duties should match 100%

always remember - for every piece of information you add, you need to submit proof for it... for ex if i say DoB is 1-1-90, i need to submit passport to prove it.. if i say i worked in xyz company from 2011-2014, you need to get documents to support that... if you leave something out, you dont need to provide proof for it. (Unless its misinterpretation, like you were arrested and have a case against you, if you fail to report that then its misinterpretation)

good luck

Reactions: AGoodSoul

AGoodSoul

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
Thank You thestunner316. Very kind of you explain this.

My confusion is NOC 0124 v/s 1123 what is the difference exactly ? Is it so that one is for a manager and other (1123) for the executive under him ?

Also, do they count if I have worked for an educational institution as a Consultant - its full time work but they did not give salary slip. I was handed cheques and tax was also deducted at source. I have tax paper and reference letter. (This will add one year in NOC 0124)