+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry / FSW / Multiple NOCs

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am 28 years old with an MBA degree.
I have more than 1 year experience continuous in the same position.
I have 2 year 2 months experience in the same NOC (administrative assistant), so NOC class B.

To get a competitive CRS, I need three years of experience.

I have almost 2 years of part-time experience (15 hours/week and not continuous) while pursuing my MBA as a Graduate Assistant (NOC Class A, but different from my primary NOC). If this was counted, I will qualify for almost 3 years + experience for express entry.

So my questions are:
1- Is Graduate Assistant counted as legitimate working experience for a FSW since I had it while studying for my MBA degree?
2- Does it matter if it was different from my primary NOC?

I would really appreciate any help you can extend to me!

Thank you!

vaishnavi

Jun 18, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
IELTS Request
07-04-2018
Med's Done....
22-05-2018
Passport Req..
30-07-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Hello Everyone,

I am 28 years old with an MBA degree.
I have more than 1 year experience continuous in the same position.
I have 2 year 2 months experience in the same NOC (administrative assistant), so NOC class B.

To get a competitive CRS, I need three years of experience.

I have almost 2 years of part-time experience (15 hours/week and not continuous) while pursuing my MBA as a Graduate Assistant (NOC Class A, but different from my primary NOC). If this was counted, I will qualify for almost 3 years + experience for express entry.

So my questions are:
1- Is Graduate Assistant counted as legitimate working experience for a FSW since I had it while studying for my MBA degree?
2- Does it matter if it was different from my primary NOC?

I would really appreciate any help you can extend to me!

Thank you!
1) yes, it is considered as work experience provided you were paid and you have necessary documents as a proof such as experience letter, pay slips tax etc.

2) It does matter when it differs from your primary NOC. CIC considers only one NOC so two different NOC's cannot be clubbed together.

Reactions: Maya111

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
1) yes, it is considered as work experience provided you were paid and you have necessary documents as a proof such as experience letter, pay slips tax etc.

2) It does matter when it differs from your primary NOC. CIC considers only one NOC so two different NOC's cannot be clubbed together.
Thank you for your reply. But can I ask further?!

1) The university used to pay me by covering my tuition. I will get a reference letter, and my tuition statements, where my tuition is shown to be covered by Graduate Assistanship, does this count?

2) NOCs are clubbed together for the FSW eligibility? or the CRS points?
If for FSW eligibility, they need a minimum score of 67, so if I a minimum of one year in the same NOC, I will pass?

Thank you again!

Maya111

Jun 11, 2016
Hello again,

I just found this on Canada.ca, so for combining factors of foreign work experience and language proficiency, work experience has to be in a single occupation.

"Work in excess
(4) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, a period of work experience that exceeds full-time work in one occupation, or simultaneous periods of work experience in more than one full-time occupation, are to be evaluated as a single period of full-time work experience in a single occupation."

Does anyone has further input to this please?

Nancy_N

Star Member
Oct 16, 2018
Hi @Maya111, did you figure this out?

I am in a similar situation. When I applied, I indicated 0114 as primary NOC (Administrative Services Manager; July 1st, 2012 - July 31st, 2014; 24 months; 40 hours/week; full time). I provided reference letter from employer. However, I also indicated NOC 4012 under employment history for two different employers (Graduate teaching assistant; August 25th, 2014 - July 31st, 2016 and August 29th - present; 47 months; 20 hours/week; part time). I also submitted reference from these two employers.

The long and short is, I combined two different NOCs to reach "3 or more years" and I just realized that that is not acceptable. My CRS score was 481 with "3 or more years" but 456 with 1 or 2 years. Minimum score for my round was 440.

AOR = September 6th
Criminality passed
Background check in progress

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

@legalfalcon @cansha please help!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi @Maya111, did you figure this out?

I am in a similar situation. When I applied, I indicated 0114 as primary NOC (Administrative Services Manager; July 1st, 2012 - July 31st, 2014; 24 months; 40 hours/week; full time). I provided reference letter from employer. However, I also indicated NOC 4012 under employment history for two different employers (Graduate teaching assistant; August 25th, 2014 - July 31st, 2016 and August 29th - present; 47 months; 20 hours/week; part time). I also submitted reference from these two employers.

The long and short is, I combined two different NOCs to reach "3 or more years" and I just realized that that is not acceptable. My CRS score was 481 with "3 or more years" but 456 with 1 or 2 years. Minimum score for my round was 440.

AOR = September 6th
Criminality passed
Background check in progress

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

@legalfalcon @cansha please help!
You can combine NOCs. Only requirement is that you should have full time continuous work experience in your primary NOC. I don’t see any issue here.

Nancy_N

Star Member
Oct 16, 2018
You can combine NOCs. Only requirement is that you should have full time continuous work experience in your primary NOC. I don’t see any issue here.
Thanks @cansha

I saw this on the CRS page "In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation." Hence my concern.