+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Experience Confusion

Ilyushin76

Mar 24, 2019
Hello everyone.

I've had 2 streaks of work basically - 3 years as an Electrical Engineer and another 2-3 years as a non technical job in a different company totally unrelated to my degree and field (Marketing) before I was laid off :(.

The issue is that I was able to get my letters reissued from my engineering employers (with the required EE format - job description, annual salary etc etc added). But when I went to get the letter reissued from my latest company, I found out they closed office in December last year.

I was lucky to get an experience letter from them but it can obviously not be verified since the company has permanently ceased to exist.

My question - Can I only claim points for the first 3 years of engineering experience as the engineering employers are still in the market and all verification can be done easily?

Thanks in advance.

Tom0712

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hello everyone.

I've had 2 streaks of work basically - 3 years as an Electrical Engineer and another 2-3 years as a non technical job in a different company totally unrelated to my degree and field (Marketing) before I was laid off :(.

The issue is that I was able to get my letters reissued from my engineering employers (with the required EE format - job description, annual salary etc etc added). But when I went to get the letter reissued from my latest company, I found out they closed office in December last year.

I was lucky to get an experience letter from them but it can obviously not be verified since the company has permanently ceased to exist.

My question - Can I only claim points for the first 3 years of engineering experience as the engineering employers are still in the market and all verification can be done easily?

Thanks in advance.
If you have more than 3 years as EE, you don't need the 2 year marketing exp. Just put that experience in personal history, not work history. When you submit your application, mention that this company cannot be verified or simply just leave it.

Reactions: Ilyushin76

Ilyushin76

Mar 24, 2019
If you have more than 3 years as EE, you don't need the 2 year marketing exp. Just put that experience in personal history, not work history. When you submit your application, mention that this company cannot be verified or simply just leave it.
Yes its 3 years - to be exact.

Thank you for your feedback :)