+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Eligibility RA/TA, PR and PhD

manansheel2

Aug 8, 2020
Hi,

I was following a thread by Saha related to applying for PR using RA/TA experience obtained while doing studies in Canada. I have done a Master's from UWO in Canada. I didn't have 1-year continuous experience from any country and thus, I was not eligible for the FSW program then.

I did my research at the university and was a GRA (Graduate Research Assistant) and a TA. I asked my University to give me an experience letter. They provided me with a letter and it was mentioned in it that TA is Employment Income, but GRA is to help you in your studies and doesn't count towards employment, and they cannot provide the number of hours for it (They give a T4A slip for the GRA, and T4 slip for the TA). So, I didn't apply to PR using it. Now, I am on a PGWP. I worked for 2 months at a company here but was laid off then due to COVID. I want to ask you can somehow my GRA and TA experience during Master's be counted towards my eligibility condition for FSW?

I am also thinking of pursuing a Ph.D. in the near future from Canada. If my eligibility condition for FSW is not met before starting a Ph.D., Can the RA/TA during my Ph.D. help me fulfill the eligibility requirements? Also, the eligibility condition asks for a 1-year continuous experience. In the summer term there is no TA, and if GRA is still not an employment income, how will I meet my eligibility? I am highly inclined towards doing a Ph.D. Should I just start it and believe that some way or the other I will get a PR because Ph.D. is highly valued in Canada, and they need Ph.D. graduates. Please answer my questions, or give me an advice. I appreciate your time. :):)

Your friend,
Manan.