+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

express entry and sponsoring over 65 parents - health insurance, drug plan

henryjonesjr

Sep 24, 2019
I am trying to research and gain understanding of immigrating into Canada under the Express Entry system. I have over 65 parents, we are all U.S. citizens. My fiance is Indian and we are looking at immigrating to Canada. My question deals with Health Insurance and the Prescription Drug Plans with reference to immigrating into either Ontario or British Columbia. How will my parents get Health Insurance ( public plans )? Will they be eligible for public PDPs? Would I have to purchase private plans for them? Would my work health plan cover parents? Do Health plans provide preexisting condition coverage ( from U.S. so have to ask )? My parents are on Medicare and have Part B ( prescription drug plan ) coverage right now, in additional to supplemental coverage purchased privately.

Thanks

Apologies if this question has been posted elsewhere

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Here’s a link for the drug plan in Ontario
This is Ontario’s Drug Plan for seniors

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-help-high-prescription-drug-costs
The medical plan in Ontario is called OHIP
Your parents could visit you if you immigrated, but they would not have access to any benefits, this includes medical, prescriptions, and they’d have to leave to go back to the States

Btw , you can’t sponsor your parents along with your application
You have to be in Canada for a number of years , meet certain requirements such as financial and then you APPLY to sponsor and hope your application is accepted. The Government sets a cap on how many parents grandparents can be sponsored each year

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you move to Canada there are no guarantees that your parents will be able to move to Canada ever. Currently there is a program where you would qualify to try to get a spot after you have earned 3 years of income over a certain amount. The demand is much higher than the amount of spots. The program could end this year it is not guaranteed. Is there a reason you want to move to Canada? You must have a life established in the US, why don’t you just sponsor your husband to go to the US after marriage?