+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry, a harsh truth underneath?

JustIbrahum

Mar 2, 2015
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
2173 - Software engineers and designers
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am planning to apply for EE from Pakistan.

It seems like a harsh reality that Canadian employers do not care about non-Canadian education or experience! Should I plan a masters degree in software engineering from Canadian university or should I apply through EE as FSW? I have CAD$20K in hand.

My background is Mechanical Engineering degree from reputable university in Pakistan. I am 40 and 17+ years of experience in software development using C++, .NET, PHP etc. I did software certifications MCSD and JCP 15 years ago! So they are outdated. I worked in Qatar around an year, in USA for 4 months and Abu Dhabi 2 months. Most of my work experience is in Pakistan.

As I am 40, I do not want to study further and do not have much potential like a 20 year old to struggle for odd jobs. I heard I would need $3000 per month to live an minimum levels. I would need $1000 to send back to home for my family. I have previously applied for Canadian visa 12 years ago but didn't supplied my IELTS results, so they cancelled my application. What are my chances? Is Canada a harsh truth underneath or chance to settle down peacefully?

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
JustIbrahum said:
I would need $1000 to send back to home for my family.
Good luck if you can earn that much a month!!! Minimum wage in Toronto is $11 and usually if you are lucky you got contract of 20 hours a week, most of the time it is on call and less than that number. Supposed you work 20 hours a week you can only earn around $900/month, you need to deduct CPP contribution, Employment Insurance and Tax, and you will get around $800/month take home. That is a reality for many PhD and Masters degree holder Foreign Skilled Workers who used to be managers, executives for large companies back in their developing home countries. If your earning is that low, every year you can expect to get a few hundred dollars of tax rebate from the government though so maybe you will get about $1000/month for a whole family. Rent for a decent 1 bed room apartment in Toronto is from $1200-$1800/month, for 2 bed room it is about $1600-2400/month. If you don't have enough money, be ready to share room and share toilets, kitchens with other immigrants in filthy conditions with rats, bed bugs, diseases and lack of privacy.

Maple_Leafs

Jan 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With the amount of experience you have, you qualify for FSW easily. I suggest apply for EE directly, and give an IELTS exam.

Studying in Canada won't be cheaper, as you require about CAD $20,000/year (Including Tuition and Expenses).

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Nevertheless, you should always apply for PR when you can under EE, once you get your PR you can come here to study at cheaper tuition fee and start again from scratch. Collect as much assistance from government as possible so you can lower the cost of studying. Do not bring your family along with you while you plan to study and expect no remittance during the time you study till you got a decent job.

Splashdown21

Mar 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
AOR Received.
31-03-2015
IELTS Request
09-04-2015
File Transfer...
09-04-2015
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2015
Passport Req..
23-06-2015
Hi JustIbrahum, I believe the answer lies in how much homework your prepared to put into finding a job. There may be people on the forum that can help you but realistically you have to get on the computer and start researching what companies employ people with your skill set, that's how I've done it. Unfortunately the job market isn't as bright as usual so best of luck but there's a good old military saying that goes 'time spent in reconnaissance is rarely wasted'. Don't dwell on what is not happening, think about what you can do and sell it! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best of luck!

ngelsa

Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Sept 18, 2014 (PNP)
Doc's Request.
May 4, 2015 (EE) / June 11, 2015 (PNP)
Nomination.....
Sept 12, 2014 (SINP)
AOR Received.
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Feb 16, 2015 (PNP)
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with both EE and PNP applications
Med's Request
March 6, 2015 (PNP)
Med's Done....
Feb 6, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Jul 15, 2015 (EE)
LANDED..........
Aug 26, 2015 (EE)
Maple_Leafs said:
With the amount of experience you have, you qualify for FSW easily. I suggest apply for EE directly, and give an IELTS exam.

Studying in Canada won't be cheaper, as you require about CAD $20,000/year (Including Tuition and Expenses).
20K per year for Master Degree is a very conservative estimation. Undergrad tuition alone for full-time International Students back in 2002 was already 10K+ per term. I wouldn't suggest studying in Canada unless you have obtained a PR status.

Good Luck.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
It is a very subjective situation. Many new immigrants who are skilled find it very hard to find job in their own profession.

On the other hand, some get hired even from overseas (including Pakistan) when they even do not have a PR and their employer needs to get LMIA and work permit.

If you are a seasoned software developer, you should have some edge and probably won't find it that hard as much as those in HR, accounts or finance would. Same applies to regulated professions.

Software devleopment is a skill and beware that Canada is no short on those i.e. Canadian universities have very good computer science programs and lots of graduates - generally far better than those from Pakistan.

So if you have some exceptional domain expertise to over come that, and there are employers looking for it in Canada, you would be better off.

Else the horror stories are very much true indeed and it takes a long time / if one gets settled at all.

E.g. i know of a trading C++ company looking for exceptional people in that area right now in Toronto among many others.

JustIbrahum

Mar 2, 2015
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Software devleopment is a skill and beware that Canada is no short on those i.e. Canadian universities have very good computer science programs and lots of graduates - generally far better than those from Pakistan.
What is the best bet? Come to Canada and look for a job Or get a job first and then come?

JustIbrahum

Mar 2, 2015
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
Good luck if you can earn that much a month!!! Minimum wage in Toronto is $11 and usually if you are lucky you got contract of 20 hours a week, most of the time it is on call and less than that number. Supposed you work 20 hours a week you can only earn around $900/month, you need to deduct CPP contribution, Employment Insurance and Tax, and you will get around $800/month take home. That is a reality for many PhD and Masters degree holder Foreign Skilled Workers who used to be managers, executives for large companies back in their developing home countries. If your earning is that low, every year you can expect to get a few hundred dollars of tax rebate from the government though so maybe you will get about $1000/month for a whole family. Rent for a decent 1 bed room apartment in Toronto is from $1200-$1800/month, for 2 bed room it is about $1600-2400/month. If you don't have enough money, be ready to share room and share toilets, kitchens with other immigrants in filthy conditions with rats, bed bugs, diseases and lack of privacy.
How much apartment sharing will cost? Instead if I work for 40 hours, is it to make enough to live and still have energy to search for a software engineering job?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I have no experience looking for a FIRST job here. So my opinion is based upon seeing others struggle often. It is hard and takes time, harder in areas like Toronto but relatively easier in others.

But most people do get through eventually. Some make compromises timely and ultimately get into their professions. Others adopt whatever fields they get chance in.

If you could plan that, its better to get PR and come to Canada and find work. Even if you could plan multiple trips with each spanning a few months until you get the right job, that might work out well.

Getting a job while not being in Canada is far more harder, takes much longer and scrutiny to get LMIA and even longer for work permit specially from places such as Pakistan. That only happens when one has a really specialized experience that is short here and an employer needs that desperately.

JustIbrahum

Mar 2, 2015
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maple_Leafs said:

I heard EE without LIMA is very difficult to get. That is why I thought about going for studies. What is the first thing I should do:

Take IELTS? Or Do document ESA through CES or WES? Or try to get a job offer? I am confused.

duster

Aug 13, 2011
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIC Sydney Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
March 22/2019
AOR Received.
May 8/ 2019
Med's Request
Sep 10/2019
Med's Done....
Sep 24/2019
JustIbrahum said:
Hello,

I am planning to apply for EE from Pakistan. My background is Mechanical Engineering degree from reputable university in Pakistan. I am 40 and 17+ years of experience in software development using C++, .NET, PHP etc. I did software certifications MCSD and JCP 15 years ago! So they are outdated. I worked in Qatar around an year, in USA for 4 months and Abu Dhabi 2 months. Most of my work experience is in Pakistan.

It seems like a harsh reality that Canadian employers do not care about non-Canadian education or experience! Should I plan a masters degree in software engineering from Canadian university or should I apply through EE as FSW? How long and how much a masters degree will take? I have CAD$20K in hand. I heard I would need $3000 per month to live an minimum levels. I would need $1000 to send back to home for my family.

As I am 40, I do not want to study further but at the same time do not have much potential like a 20 year old to struggle for odd jobs. I have previously applied for Canadian visa 12 years ago but didn't supplied my IELTS results, so they cancelled my application. What are my chances? Is Canada a harsh truth underneath or chance to settle down peacefully?
Dear JustIbrahum
I think you have got very good profile. I will suggest you to apply through Express Entry for FSWP. Please get your ECAs and appear for IELTS and try to get maximum IELTS Score. There are lot of chances you will get through Express Entry. As matter of fact the ranking is lowering down in EE and might reach at 300+ in December 2015.I am sure with good IELTS band you will be in EE score range of between 300 to 350.
Moreover when you reach at Canada then try to some graduate courses to update your educational credentials.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
JustIbrahum said:
What is the best bet? Come to Canada and look for a job Or get a job first and then come?
In reality the only option is get a job and then come to Canada. Apply under EE as FSW ASAP.