+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting Vehicle From US - My Story

honjooshi

Mar 1, 2013
This is just a quick post to let everyone know my story, as the vehicle export process is quite complicated.
Background: I immigrated into Ontario from the west-coast U.S., so not sure what other provinces' rules are.
1. Apparently you're not supposed to be driving a U.S. vehicle in Canada once you have PR? No idea what that's about, but I have read it elsewhere on the forum. I am not sure as to the validity, but you may want to look it up. I'm a very cautious driver, but if you're not, and you get caught...
2. If you want to import a vehicle, you're supposed to have owned it for at least six months, or it's a surcharge/extra issues/fine. It may not even be possible; look it up. Cars are much cheaper in the U.S. so they're really cracking down on this.
3. You must submit your vehicle paperwork to the U.S. customs Vehicle Export Office at your border crossing at least 72 HOURS in advance. There are help lines you can call, and depending on the border, you may have to fax or email a copy of the vehicle title. At least at the Lewiston Bridge in Niagara, NY, you DO NOT have to present the actual documents to the Vehicle Export Office in advance, but you may have to at other crossings; be sure to ask. All I had to do was email my vehicle's VIN and description.
4. The vehicle is not supposed to be in Canada before you submit your VIN and vehicle information to the U.S. Customs Vehicle Export Office. As near as I can tell, there is a possible $500 fine for this, or that's what it says in the law itself. I had had my vehicle in Canada, and they were pissed, but they let me go through and didn't charge me. I have no idea if they will be as merciful to other people. I came from the west coast, so I feel it was pretty apparent I couldn't just waltz across the border, which may have saved me. I also don't know if they've flagged my border profile for future scrutiny. As I said, I'm from thousands of miles away, so I didn't have much choice, but I highly recommend not risking it.
5. You must have Ontario Car Insurance on your vehicle before you import your vehicle. Some companies, i.e., Belair, require a vehicle inspection before they will insure it. TD Auto insurance does not, but they have long wait times for coverage. I had good service with Johnson Auto Insurance, but I do not know the reliability of the company. They have good reviews on insurance review websites, and a couple of good recommendations online, but other than that I cannot vouch for them. Their prices were also reasonable.
6. The process for me at both borders was very quick. It was done in less than fifteen minutes at the U.S. Vehicle Export Office. It took me about twenty minutes on the Canadian side. There were no lines at either, and I went on a Friday afternoon.
7. If your vehicle is more than 15 years old, you do not have to do the RIV application. It is a very quick and easy process, assuming you don't have to wait in a long line, and as near as I can tell, you do not have to pay the RIV fee or get the usual vehicle testing done, though I will have to confirm this. I was told that all I have to do now is go to the Ministry of Transportation and get my Ontario plates. We'll see if that's the case.
That's all for now. It's a REALLY confusing process, and I don't claim to understand it, but I just wanted to share in case it helps someone going through a similar situation.

bmore321

Star Member
May 24, 2013
Canada (TWP)
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013 FBI Police Report
AOR Received.
08-10-2013
File Transfer...
08-10-2013
Med's Done....
17-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2014 Received COPR 3-5-2014
LANDED..........
19-05-2014
Interesting points. My wife is in Canada on TWP and I am taking her car to her early january. Do I have to go through the same process?

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I owned a (paid-off!) 2003 Honda Accord that I just adored and had taken very good care of (in anticipation of "driving it until the wheels fell off"). When we started preparing to move, we started reading up on all of the immigration stuff, along with vehicle importation. It made me very sad, but we decided to sell my car rather than deal with the hassle and confusion of importation.

Our understanding was, because the car would have been 9 years old at the time of the border crossing, it would have to comply with current Canadian safety standards (it didn't, as it didn't have daytime running lights, and there was something different/inadequate about the child safety restraint system). We would have had to pay to get the car in compliance with Canadian standards, and in addition to everything else, we just couldn't face all of that. (He's military, so we didn't have all the time in the world, and we knew I'd be alone again for almost five months right after the move, as he had to go away for a course.)

Your experience, even while successful, tells me that we made the right decision. Ginny (my "new" car, a year older than my old Honda and rather a rustbucket) is nothing special, but she'll do until we live somewhere where I can work again.

Thanks for sharing your info!

honjooshi

Mar 1, 2013
QuebecOkie said:
I owned a (paid-off!) 2003 Honda Accord that I just adored and had taken very good care of (in anticipation of "driving it until the wheels fell off"). When we started preparing to move, we started reading up on all of the immigration stuff, along with vehicle importation. It made me very sad, but we decided to sell my car rather than deal with the hassle and confusion of importation.

Our understanding was, because the car would have been 9 years old at the time of the border crossing, it would have to comply with current Canadian safety standards (it didn't, as it didn't have daytime running lights, and there was something different/inadequate about the child safety restraint system). We would have had to pay to get the car in compliance with Canadian standards, and in addition to everything else, we just couldn't face all of that. (He's military, so we didn't have all the time in the world, and we knew I'd be alone again for almost five months right after the move, as he had to go away for a course.)

Your experience, even while successful, tells me that we made the right decision. Ginny (my "new" car, a year older than my old Honda and rather a rustbucket) is nothing special, but she'll do until we live somewhere where I can work again.

Thanks for sharing your info!
I'm sorry to hear about your Accord, but you would indeed have had to jump through a bunch of flaming hoops. Whether it would have been worth it would have been your call, but I certainly understand.

mayankbhat

Nov 2, 2011
honjooshi said:
This is just a quick post to let everyone know my story, as the vehicle export process is quite complicated.
Background: I immigrated into Ontario from the west-coast U.S., so not sure what other provinces' rules are.
1. Apparently you're not supposed to be driving a U.S. vehicle in Canada once you have PR? No idea what that's about, but I have read it elsewhere on the forum. I am not sure as to the validity, but you may want to look it up. I'm a very cautious driver, but if you're not, and you get caught...
2. If you want to import a vehicle, you're supposed to have owned it for at least six months, or it's a surcharge/extra issues/fine. It may not even be possible; look it up. Cars are much cheaper in the U.S. so they're really cracking down on this.
3. You must submit your vehicle paperwork to the U.S. customs Vehicle Export Office at your border crossing at least 72 HOURS in advance. There are help lines you can call, and depending on the border, you may have to fax or email a copy of the vehicle title. At least at the Lewiston Bridge in Niagara, NY, you DO NOT have to present the actual documents to the Vehicle Export Office in advance, but you may have to at other crossings; be sure to ask. All I had to do was email my vehicle's VIN and description.
4. The vehicle is not supposed to be in Canada before you submit your VIN and vehicle information to the U.S. Customs Vehicle Export Office. As near as I can tell, there is a possible $500 fine for this, or that's what it says in the law itself. I had had my vehicle in Canada, and they were pissed, but they let me go through and didn't charge me. I have no idea if they will be as merciful to other people. I came from the west coast, so I feel it was pretty apparent I couldn't just waltz across the border, which may have saved me. I also don't know if they've flagged my border profile for future scrutiny. As I said, I'm from thousands of miles away, so I didn't have much choice, but I highly recommend not risking it.
5. You must have Ontario Car Insurance on your vehicle before you import your vehicle. Some companies, i.e., Belair, require a vehicle inspection before they will insure it. TD Auto insurance does not, but they have long wait times for coverage. I had good service with Johnson Auto Insurance, but I do not know the reliability of the company. They have good reviews on insurance review websites, and a couple of good recommendations online, but other than that I cannot vouch for them. Their prices were also reasonable.
6. The process for me at both borders was very quick. It was done in less than fifteen minutes at the U.S. Vehicle Export Office. It took me about twenty minutes on the Canadian side. There were no lines at either, and I went on a Friday afternoon.
7. If your vehicle is more than 15 years old, you do not have to do the RIV application. It is a very quick and easy process, assuming you don't have to wait in a long line, and as near as I can tell, you do not have to pay the RIV fee or get the usual vehicle testing done, though I will have to confirm this. I was told that all I have to do now is go to the Ministry of Transportation and get my Ontario plates. We'll see if that's the case.
That's all for now. It's a REALLY confusing process, and I don't claim to understand it, but I just wanted to share in case it helps someone going through a similar situation.
The Lewiston export office at Buffalo is closed on weekends. Does that mean the exporting of a vehicle has to be on weekday only?

Cf45

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Can you have your USA insurance temporally cover you? I'm not sure how I eoulsd get my vechike inspected beforebimoort iuf it gas to be in the USA by a Canadian insurance company can you or anyone comment on this??

Also what did you use for recall clearance did u have it from the manufacturer or did you uyse ASN online website from the manufacturer