+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting car from Canada to US......any one done this?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi @harirajmohan,

Are you moving permanently back to the US?
Well, its all temporary in these countries. For now, yes, i am moving to US.
Planning to complete the citizenship steps by making short trips whenever i am invited for test/interview/oath.

gmaple07

Jun 7, 2021
@justinline or anybody who moved from Ontario to US, is there a specific crossing that needs to be used for doing the import into US process ?
from what i read, some of the CBP offices are not open all the time . In addition - do we need to fax docs or inform them 72hours before actually importing the vehicle ? any experiences regarding this will be helpful.

justinline

May 19, 2009
@justinline or anybody who moved from Ontario to US, is there a specific crossing that needs to be used for doing the import into US process ?
from what i read, some of the CBP offices are not open all the time . In addition - do we need to fax docs or inform them 72hours before actually importing the vehicle ? any experiences regarding this will be helpful.
I used Windsor, I am not aware of any such thing. All crossing were allowed for importation purpose.
There was no need to inform CBP or CBSA beforehand, that's how it was. Please do confirm how things are now. Things might have changed due to Covid restrictions.

gmaple07

Jun 7, 2021
I used Windsor, I am not aware of any such thing. All crossing were allowed for importation purpose.
There was no need to inform CBP or CBSA beforehand, that's how it was. Please do confirm how things are now. Things might have changed due to Covid restrictions.
Thanks for your response @justinline I'm still in the initial stages ,so it will take me a few months for the actual move -assuming everything goes on schedule - so currently i'm just in the process of collecting the information as a prep.

Most of the threads i've read are the reverse ie US to Canada - so this thread has given me a slightly better understanding of the process.
From what i understand - there's no process involved at the Canada side - its at the US side the paperwork needs to be done .also from what i read, the 72hour rule is for vehicles being exported from US- so probably not relevant for CAN -> US and as per your experience too(thanks for confirming that)

visatraveler

Mar 31, 2019
Reimporting same vehicle back to US:
Initially called CBP, DOT and EPA. DOT was confusing me saying i may need to revert back the daytime running lights even though we know that some states actually require it and most new cars are manufactured default with DRL. So i didnt want to remove it which was enabled after importing to Canada since this is not against law in any state and unnecessary expense and time waste.

Went to detroit tunnel. Inside the office, i showed the sale detail copy of the car to avoid tax and gave the documents which i collected during my import to Canada (along with the current ontario title). Officer gave back sale receipts and took the title and previous import docs for her to enter the forms.

She(officer) came back and asked me for the address and phone number.

In between cbp vehicle inspector came and asked who else was moving with me. He was saying that he could see somebody else's clothes/things :). I told that my family will be coming with me this weekend. Then he left.

She came back with all the forms printed and took my signature. Then she gave me my copy of DOT HS7, EPA 3520 and CBP 7501 (2 copies - one for dmv and one to keep it vehicle till it gets sold).

When i came back to car, the boxes and bags were rearranged, mostly in the trunk. I had to set few bags and boxes to fit/close the trunk. So have your things minimal while importing the car as they are supposed to check fully while importing the car. Overall it took 35-50 mins.
Quick question- did you have to prefill all the DOT HS7, EPA 3520 and CBP 7501 ?

Would they do it and give you the copy? the forms have mostly the fields that they would have fill

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Quick question- did you have to prefill all the DOT HS7, EPA 3520 and CBP 7501 ?

Would they do it and give you the copy? the forms have mostly the fields that they would have fill
Yes i took but i think that they didnt take it from me instead they gave me. i dont know if it depends on the border or the officer who deals with it hence better you call the border which you would take the car.

welpure2

Aug 7, 2019
Hi, my case is similar to what is shared on this thread. The inputs shared here are very helpful.

I moved from the US to Canada in 2019 and imported my car (I am the first and sole owner of this car since I purchased it in 2015 in the US)
I completed proper export from US and import to Canada formalities at respective border while importing the car to Canada.

I registered the car in Ontario, where Service Ontario kept the US original title (on which US export stamp was printed) with them and issued a new Canadian title. After becoming a PR in 2021, I paid the import duty and registered the vehicle with RIV.

Now my employer transferred me back to the US office and I am planning to move back on a L1 Visa. I am taking my car back to the US.

So just checking here if anyone reimported their car to the US and what is the experience with CBP at the border.
Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

welpure2

Aug 7, 2019
Hi, my case is similar to what is shared on this thread. The inputs shared here are very helpful.

I moved from the US to Canada in 2019 and imported my car (I am the first and sole owner of this car since I purchased it in 2015 in the US)
I completed proper export from US and import to Canada formalities at respective border while importing the car to Canada.

I registered the car in Ontario, where Service Ontario kept the US original title (on which US export stamp was printed) with them and issued a new Canadian title. After becoming a PR in 2021, I paid the import duty and registered the vehicle with RIV.

Now my employer transferred me back to the US office and I am planning to move back on a L1 Visa. I am taking my car back to the US.

So just checking here if anyone reimported their car to the US and what is the experience with CBP at the border.
Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Could someone please provide your experience with above situation?

paneka penalty

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022

paneka penalty

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022

Vishnu71

May 13, 2023
Folks, Thanks for sharing all this useful information. I have one question.

Did the authority ask for the "No Recall Clearance Letter" i.e. there are no pending Recalls from the manufacture while importing vehicles from Canada to USA. My car is already US made and I imported it initially into canada and moving it back into USA ?

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
Has anyone here imported car to Canada without exporting from the US.
Is that possible, I plan to return in 1-2 years so want to avoid the problems of re-importing the car to the US if at all possible?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has anyone here imported car to Canada without exporting from the US.
Is that possible, I plan to return in 1-2 years so want to avoid the problems of re-importing the car to the US if at all possible?
I thought students can continue to drive on their US plated cars for the duration of their studies in a post secondary institution in Canada.