+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from US

fbm110

Jun 9, 2017
Hey guys, I was confused about part of the exporting a car from US and importing it into Canada process.

My situation is that I brought my car into Canada as a visitor before I got my PR. When I landed, I declared it as a goods to follow. I am in the process of importing it into canada now, and have done the whole ITN and emailed the border with my info 72 hours before (I will import on Sunday). The car is still in Canada though. I was planning on driving into the US, and then just turning around immediately to get the car exported/imported and drive back into canada.

My confusion is on the part that says the vehicle needs to be in the US for 72 hours. do I need to drive to the US, stay there for 72 hours before driving back? how would they even know how long the vehicle was in the US for? I called CBP and they said I was allowed to do the 180 turn and come back, but it could be just the guy answering the phone and I didnt want to get stuck in the states for three days if they dont let me back in immediately. Does anyone have any experience with this?

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I kept my car in the US for 72 hours, so I can't say for sure. Someone else has posted on here about this recently. I would call the border directly and get the person's name when they say you can just do a 180 and come back into canada so that if you're denied for any reason, you can say, "I called X day at Y time and spoke to Z and they said it was fine."