+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
I believe technically it's not legal for a Canadian PR to drive a US plated car if you are living in Canada. Basically the answer is yes, any time you enter Canada as a Canadian PR they are going to give you a hard time if your car has US plates.
Hi KBH

Need your advise

On the RIV website what does one fill under foreign vendor information ? I am filling the form and got stuck on this part!1

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
I agree. I had a lot of drama getting an Ontario license, but besides that, everything was smooth. It's a million and one steps, but nothing about it is particularly hard!
Hi KBH

Need your advise

On the RIV website what does one fill under foreign vendor information ? I am filling the form and got stuck on this part!1

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi KBH

Where did you have the RIV Inspection done, seems there are a ot of negative reviews for Canadian tire.

Also how about the Ontario Inspection?

Thanks

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi KBH

Need your advise

The foreign vendor info is meant to be left blank. I had filled mine out, but they crossed it all out at the border.

Hi KBH

Where did you have the RIV Inspection done, seems there are a ot of negative reviews for Canadian tire.

Also how about the Ontario Inspection?

Thanks
The RIV inspection can only be done at Canadian Tire, at least where I am (in Toronto). The Ontario safety can be done at pretty much any dealership or mechanic shop.

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
The foreign vendor info is meant to be left blank. I had filled mine out, but they crossed it all out at the border.

The RIV inspection can only be done at Canadian Tire, at least where I am (in Toronto). The Ontario safety can be done at pretty much any dealership or mechanic shop.
I thought I read somewhere that safety isn't required till after the first two years.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I thought I read somewhere that safety isn't required till after the first two years.
Nope. You need the safety to register the vehicle (at least in Ontario). You may be thinking of emissions?

Reactions: seamarine

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Nope. You need the safety to register the vehicle (at least in Ontario). You may be thinking of emissions?
Yes you are right. How involved is the safety process? Do you remember how much you paid for yours? I just read the manual and it seems to be quite an extensive inspection.

I dont expect to see any cars breaking down in ontario if they all have to go through that. Haha.

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi KBH

How much did the safety inspection cost...Can it be done at Canadian Tire or are they expensive when compared to others?

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018

Hi KBH

Aslo, do we have to wait for the RIV sticker in the mail before going to register the car? Is there a further proof of address required at that time.

Thanks for all your replies, you have been bang on target all the time with your insights.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Yes you are right. How involved is the safety process? Do you remember how much you paid for yours? I just read the manual and it seems to be quite an extensive inspection.

I dont expect to see any cars breaking down in ontario if they all have to go through that. Haha.
It is very extensive. I take good care of my vehicle and had just had a complete service done about two weeks before my safety, so I didn't have to get anything fixed. However, my understanding is that it is more common to have to fix something before you can pass. I guess they made it more difficult/complex last year. Mine was $130 but I was quoted $175 at another shop before I went and found a cheaper place

Reactions: Forte

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi KBH

Aslo, do we have to wait for the RIV sticker in the mail before going to register the car? Is there a further proof of address required at that time.

Thanks for all your replies, you have been bang on target all the time with your insights.
No you don't need the RIV sticker to register the car. You will need to show your ON license when you register the vehicle which has your address on it so they don't need any further proof of your address.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
and how about the car insurance...any recommendations of website or broker?
I got quotes from 5-6 different companies and Johnson was the most competitive and gave me credit for my US driving history

Reactions: seamarine

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
It is very extensive. I take good care of my vehicle and had just had a complete service done about two weeks before my safety, so I didn't have to get anything fixed. However, my understanding is that it is more common to have to fix something before you can pass. I guess they made it more difficult/complex last year. Mine was $130 but I was quoted $175 at another shop before I went and found a cheaper place
Appreciate it.

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
I got quotes from 5-6 different companies and Johnson was the most competitive and gave me credit for my US driving history
Hello KBH

Thank you for your advise...I took a lot of quotes and finally settled on Johnson as they were the cheapest, finally finished my final step today and got the Ontario plates..all your posts were very accurate and I was able to go through the whole process without any issues. Thank you so much.

One final question on this topic...how did you return the old US plates back to your local dmv.

Reactions: KBH