+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hello KBH

Thank you for your advise...I took a lot of quotes and finally settled on Johnson as they were the cheapest, finally finished my final step today and got the Ontario plates..all your posts were very accurate and I was able to go through the whole process without any issues. Thank you so much.

One final question on this topic...how did you return the old US plates back to your local dmv.
Glad to help! The process varies by state, so you’ll have to check on your state’s DMV website. I returned mine by mail.

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Glad to help! The process varies by state, so you’ll have to check on your state’s DMV website. I returned mine by mail.
What if your plates were expired. I'm landing in August and my tags are also expiring in August. Do I still need to send them back?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
What if your plates were expired. I'm landing in August and my tags are also expiring in August. Do I still need to send them back?
Again, it depends on the state, but most likely yes. It has nothing to do with whether they are expired or not. Typically, mailing back your plates is the only way your state’s DMV is made aware that you have moved elsewhere and are not driving around with expired plates and registration.

Around 10 years ago I mailed back my MD plates after moving to NY and apparently they got lost in the mail, because about 4 years later I got a bill from the state of MD to the tune of $3,000 as they believed I had been driving around with everything expired that entire time. I didn’t have to pay it of course after I called and explained. Moral of the story, mail back your plates!

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Again, it depends on the state, but most likely yes. It has nothing to do with whether they are expired or not. Typically, mailing back your plates is the only way your state’s DMV is made aware that you have moved elsewhere and are not driving around with expired plates and registration.

Around 10 years ago I mailed back my MD plates after moving to NY and apparently they got lost in the mail, because about 4 years later I got a bill from the state of MD to the tune of $3,000 as they believed I had been driving around with everything expired that entire time. I didn’t have to pay it of course after I called and explained. Moral of the story, mail back your plates!
Sigh...as luck would have it, my 10 year old car gave up on me today so I won't be bringing it with me, and I will mail my plates out before I leave. Sad day but at least it didn't fail on the 16hr drive to Ontario.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Whatever you do, do not cancel insurance without first returning your plates. Some states will consider you to have been driving uninsured during that time period and subject you to massive fines and penalties.

Reactions: KBH

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Sigh...as luck would have it, my 10 year old car gave up on me today so I won't be bringing it with me, and I will mail my plates out before I leave. Sad day but at least it didn't fail on the 16hr drive to Ontario.
What make of car gives out after only 10 years? Let me know, so I can be sure never to buy one!

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
HELP PLEASE!

I’m buying my uncle’s 2010 Pilot in New Jersey and we’re driving it to Toronto. I am based in Calgary.

1. From NJ to border, I assume we can still use his US insurance for the car, right? How about when we’re in Canada (driving Toronto to Calgary), what insurance can I use/buy?

2. Once we completed our formal export process, can we go back to US with the car? Driving from Toronto to Calgary has two options: Canada side and US side. We are planning to do the US side but wants to make sure all formal export process is done.

Thank you in advance!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
HELP PLEASE!

I’m buying my uncle’s 2010 Pilot in New Jersey and we’re driving it to Toronto. I am based in Calgary.

1. From NJ to border, I assume we can still use his US insurance for the car, right? How about when we’re in Canada (driving Toronto to Calgary), what insurance can I use/buy?

2. Once we completed our formal export process, can we go back to US with the car? Driving from Toronto to Calgary has two options: Canada side and US side. We are planning to do the US side but wants to make sure all formal export process is done.

Thank you in advance!
As I understand you buy vehicle first and drive it later, so you will have to have your "new" car registered, plated and insured in US on your name. You can drive your vehicle in NJ and in Canada as visitor. People say on this forum that if you export your vehicle from US you can drive her back only registered, plated and insured in Canada as US visitor?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
As I understand you buy vehicle first and drive it later, so you will have to have your "new" car registered, plated and insured in US on your name. You can drive your vehicle in NJ and in Canada as visitor. People say on this forum that if you export your vehicle from US you can drive her back only registered, plated and insured in Canada as US visitor?
Yes, I think you're spot on here...

Car needs to be plated, registered, insured in the US (in your name) before you could export it. Otherwise you might want to consider towing?

After it's been exported from the US, you can't bring it back into the US until you've plated, registered, and insured in Canada.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
No.

I’m a PR who will buy the vehicle from a private person (my relative), drive it to the border (Toronto) for export process, and I need to drive it all the way to Calgary (where I live).

I will do the export process in Toronto because in case of any issue, it is still closer to NJ. Does it make sense?

Since there are two (major) paths to drive from Toronto to Calgary, I’m planning to take the US route. Hence, AFTER the export process, can we go back to US to drive to Calgary? We all have a multiple entry US visa and the original owner of the car, my relative, is an american is coming with us.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
Yes, I think you're spot on here...

Car needs to be plated, registered, insured in the US (in your name) before you could export it. Otherwise you might want to consider towing?

After it's been exported from the US, you can't bring it back into the US until you've plated, registered, and insured in Canada.
Ok, I got you. The used car is US plated and registered.

So we can’t bring it back to the US after the export even the american (original) owner is driving? I’m just wondering because it is still US plate (after the export) that will be driven by someone with US driving license?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Let's tackle it from different angle. What issues you expect during export process that's prompting you to finish export process in Toronto instead of Calgary. Why not just drive directly from NJ to Calgary?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
No.

I’m a PR who will buy the vehicle from a private person (my relative), drive it to the border (Toronto) for export process, and I need to drive it all the way to Calgary (where I live).

I will do the export process in Toronto because in case of any issue, it is still closer to NJ. Does it make sense?

Since there are two (major) paths to drive from Toronto to Calgary, I’m planning to take the US route. Hence, AFTER the export process, can we go back to US to drive to Calgary? We all have a multiple entry US visa and the original owner of the car, my relative, is an american is coming with us.
In order to export from US the car should be Titled on your name with proper US registration and plate. In order to get a Title among the other things you have to bring to NJ DMV "Proof of New Jersey insurance. " You are Canadian PR with multiple US visa - a Canadian resident. Where do you get proof of New Jersey insurance?

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/preowntitle.htm

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
In order to export from US the car should be Titled on your name with proper US registration and plate. In order to get a Title among the other things you have to bring to NJ DMV "Proof of New Jersey insurance. " You are Canadian PR with multiple US visa - a Canadian resident. Where do you get proof of New Jersey insurance?

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/preowntitle.htm
The title has to be under my name to export? Is that accurate?

Isn’t it that in order for me to export I just need the title (even not under my name), bill of sale, and/or a letter allowing me to export the car.

It has a proper US registration plate.