+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

arthurmr

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Mine already had a French one. You should double check and make sure yours doesn't. I assumed mine wouldn't, but it did!

Otherwise, I've heard of people using Google Translate and making their own based on the English one and taping it in there lol
LOL! Good thing yours had em, unfortunately mine doesn't. Already found some leads from online parts store, might try that. Thanks mate!

ishanbishnoi

May 24, 2017
Hi Friends,

Need your help !

1. What is the total time I need once my vehicle crosses the Canadian border and my Form 1 is sent to RIV by CBSA for getting my Ontario Number Plates

2. Can I get my RIV inspection form, Safety inspection completed , RIV inspection completed and finally Onatrio number plates in two days assuming I already have Ontario's driver license.

3. If I have a cut in my tyre which is harmless but still appears on outer wall then do I need to get the whole tyre replaced for passing safety and RIV inspection.

My situation is that I need to drive back into US from Canada once I get my Ontario number plates for about 2 weeks time.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ishan

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Does anyone know if the vehicle must also display the odometer reading in kilometers? I know that the speedometer must be capable of displaying speed in kilometers, but I'm not able to discern whether or not the actual odometer has to display in kilometers, too. Thanks!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Does anyone know if the vehicle must also display the odometer reading in kilometers? I know that the speedometer must be capable of displaying speed in kilometers, but I'm not able to discern whether or not the actual odometer has to display in kilometers, too. Thanks!
No it doesn't have to display in kilometers, but you will need a sticker that goes by it, stating "odometer reads in miles" they should have these stickers available when you go get your RIV inspection done. (This is assuming the odometer display itself does not have any units/does not say miles)

GKC468

Oct 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to import my car and I was really struggling to find comprehensive, up-to-date info on the complete process. It was really stressing me out, so I decided to put together a comprehensive, step-by-step guide that was up to date. There are some helpful posts on this forum, but it seems like the process has changed a little bit since those were published, so I figured something up-to-date might be helpful for everyone.

I will note that you can import your vehicle either at the time of landing, or AFTER your landing (if you mark your car as "goods to follow" on your B4 form), but you should not import your car BEFORE you land, as importing it as part of your landing ensures you are exempt from paying duty or taxes on the car.

Chapter 1 - Before You Export

STEP 1
The first thing you need to do is make sure your vehicle is admissible to Canada. You can check that here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/SafeVehicles/Importation/Usa/VAFUS/list2/Section3_0.htm

STEP 2
If you are currently financing your vehicle, you need to obtain a clearance letter from the lender stating that you have their permission to export the vehicle. Note that the majority of lenders are NOT likely to give this permission, so if that is the case, you will need to pay off your vehicle in order to obtain the title clear of liens so that you can export the car. If this is not an option, selling the car in the US and buying a new car in Canada will be the best option for you.

STEP 3
Research the port of entry where you plan to export your vehicle from the US. Note that not all border crossings process vehicle exports and you will need to confirm the location and hours of operation and general procedures for the port of your choice. For example, we were planning to do my landing at the Peace Bridge crossing, but discovered that the Queenston-Lewiston crossing is the only place you can export a vehicle in Western New York.

Reach out by phone or email so you can confirm the days/times they are open to process vehicle exports and the email or fax information you will need to submit your 72 hour export notice to.

STEP 4
You will need to enlist the services of a customs broker to complete an AES filing for you. This filing will result in the issuance of an ITN number, which is needed to export the car. The AES is basically an electronic system where everything exported out of the US gets "logged" into, and we as average everyday citizens do not have easy access to it, which is why a customs broker has to do it. You should be able to find a broker to do this for around $50-$75. Google "AES vehicle export customs broker" and you will find lots of options. They will have you fill out some mildly confusing forms and when the filing is complete, they will issue the ITN number. Note you need this process to be completed PRIOR to giving your 72 hours export notice.

STEP 5
72 hours prior to export, your vehicle needs to be INSIDE the United States (and needs to stay in the U.S. from that point on until you export it). At 72 hours prior to export, submit (via email or fax depending on the instructions you got from the port of entry) your notice of intent to export. This generally will just include your VIN, the ITN number, and a note stating the day and approximate time you plan to export your vehicle.

STEP 6
To save time, you should complete the "Vehicle Export Form" (this is used for the Canadian part of the process) online in advance, print and bring with you to your landing. http://www.riv.ca/OnlineForms/Home/Landing

CHAPTER 2 - AT THE BORDER

STEP 7
Immediately before you report to the Canadian border crossing to complete your landing and import your car, you need to complete the export at the U.S. side. (When you contact the export office in Step 3, ask them where you need to physically bring the car at the time of export).

You will need to bring the following items:
-Your ITN number
-Your VIN number
-Copy of the 72 hour notice you submitted
-Original vehicle title showing there are no liens/loans, OR a certified copy of the title along with a letter from the lender stating it is OK for you to export the car
-Your passport
-Bill of sale

Once they process the export you can report immediately to the Canadian border crossing to import your car and complete your landing.

STEP 8
At the Canadian border. You should have your vehicle and its VIN listed on your B4 form with all the goods you are importing, but you also need to have the Vehicle Import form mentioned in Step 6. You also need to have:

-Any documents/receipts given to you by the US export office
-Original vehicle title showing there are no liens/loans, OR a certified copy of the title along with a letter from the lender stating it is OK for you to export the car
-Bill of sale

CBSA will electronically submit your Vehicle Import form to RIV (the organization in Canada responsible for completing the process of importing your vehicle).

Chapter 3 - IN CANADA

STEP 9
You have 45 days to complete the RIV process once the vehicle is in Canada. To begin this process, you need to submit a few things to RIV in order for them to release your inspection letter. Check their website for the contact information/email addresses as to where to submit this information.

1. To speed things up you can re-submit a copy of your Vehicle Import form to RIV, even though CBSA does submit it to them also.
2. You also need to submit a manufacturer recall clearance letter (this can be done up to 30 days in advance). http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx
3. Lastly, you need to pay the import fees: https://www.riv.ca/MakeAnRIVPayment.aspx

STEP 10
RIV will send you an inspection letter specific to your vehicle which you can use to get your vehicle inspected. The letter will list the specific modifications applicable to your vehicle that you need to make sure are completed PRIOR to your inspection. These are typically completed at the dealership. You also need to ensure your car has a US compliance label on it somewhere (it should already have this).

STEP 11

Once your modifications are completed, locate the RIV inspection location nearest you and bring in your car to be inspected. When the inspection is successfully complete, they will stamp your Vehicle Import Form indicating this, which is what you will bring to get your car registered and tagged. They will also send you a Canadian compliance label in the mail which you will affix to your vehicle to replace the US one.

STEP 12
Bring your stamped form to wherever vehicles are registered in your province (ex, Service Ontario) along with whatever other proof is required in your province (for example, drivers license, proof of insurance, bill of sale, and original title). Get your tags and you are done!

--

A NOTE ON DRIVERS LICENSE AND CAR INSURANCE
Before you complete the final step of getting your car registered and tagged, you will need a provincial drivers license. You will need Canadian insurance policy on the car in order to get it tagged, and you will need a Canadian drivers license in order to obtain that policy, so the order should be as follows - 1) Get Canadian drivers license first (try to do this immediately after landing, for most US residents you should be able to do an instantaneous trade in of your existing US license); 2) Then get Canadian insurance policy on the car (try to set this up prior to landing so that all you have to do is submit your new Canadian drivers license info to them in order to finalize and activate the policy). Once you have the proof of insurance, you can proceed with Step 12 above.

--

I really hope this is helpful and please let me know if there is anything I am missing or forgetting!

@KBH. Thanks for the wonderful step-by-step guide for importing personal vehicles. It is very simple and to the point. Do they check for US Statement of Compliance (SOC) label on the car as mentioned in the RIV e-Form? I am not sure if my vehicle has one. Another question was regarding recall clearance. RIV website says one of the acceptable forms is recall clearance on OEM website based on VIN subject to verification. I have my recall clearance that way but was not sure about the verification part that they do. Please share your thoughts.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
@KBH. Thanks for the wonderful step-by-step guide for importing personal vehicles. It is very simple and to the point. Do they check for US Statement of Compliance (SOC) label on the car as mentioned in the RIV e-Form? I am not sure if my vehicle has one. Another question was regarding recall clearance. RIV website says one of the acceptable forms is recall clearance on OEM website based on VIN subject to verification. I have my recall clearance that way but was not sure about the verification part that they do. Please share your thoughts.
Recall clearance - I've sent to RIV an email with a copy of the snapshot of Mercedes website VIN check, showing my vehicle is clean and got from them an email confirming that Recall clearance is confirmed. Later that email was part of RIV import procedure ( Recall Clearance, Form 1 and proof of payment RIV fees).

As I remember nobody checked SOC.

GKC468

Oct 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
Recall clearance - I've sent to RIV an email with a copy of the snapshot of Mercedes website VIN check, showing my vehicle is clean and got from them an email confirming that Recall clearance is confirmed. Later that email was part of RIV import procedure ( Recall Clearance, Form 1 and proof of payment RIV fees).

As I remember nobody checked SOC.
Thank you Alex. I skipped a few pages and I realized the answer was in page 3 or 4. But, the SOC thing is what I was worried about. I checked the door and they have some labels but I am sure it is not the same as read in some websites. I hope someone has a sample of how it looks.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
On driver door panel of my vehicle there is a black sticker:
"MFD BY DAIMLER AG STUTGART
Made in Germany
149 08/13
...Some vehicle information....
THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY AND THEFT PREVENTION STANDARDS IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE SHOWN ABOVE
VIN number..."

GKC468

Oct 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
Submit now. I submitted my notice 2-3 weeks in advance. 72 hours is just a minimum
I have a couple of questions regarding ITN.

1. I am planning to use simplifiedtradesolutions for obtaining the ITN. Their website says that the ITN would be generated by the close of business day. Is that information transmitted to US CBP at the same time?
2. Do we need a confirmed export date to be entered in the form to get ITN? The reason I ask this is I am not sure exactly when I can get a confirmed export date (I can have a week's notice probably). I just want to make sure I can get the ITN on the same day and soon, probably the next day or so, email US CBP about the export notice.

Please share your thoughts.

ven6789

Sep 25, 2018
Hi,
Can someone help me with the below 3 questions please.
  1. Can we use Thousand Island Bridge in New York (Alexandria bay/Lansdowne bridge) for exporting/Importing?
  2. I'm planning to move to Ontario on PR for the first time. I have 2017 Honda Accord manufactured in USA. Do we need to pay any GST, HST, Sales tax during registration in Ontario?
  3. I got a quote from borderbuddy.com and they are saying I need to 13% HST for customs. https://app.borderbuddy.com/calculator/public;orderId=179218;customerid=77507

Reactions: vijayniranjan04

vijayniranjan04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2018
my import experiences.

In USA side , have ready with H1b approvals , they do validate. Get seal in the TITLE.
In canada side , Pay the RIV online(310 + 40) , take print outs , so they can stamp and give you zero dollar tax its free :) , then followed by registration charges 120(Year tag) + 40 (plate)
they will give a small page in green and white color calling as TITLE , dont miss that. what a pity :)

1. change tires, brake shoes,DRL and other important safety changes in the USA , as i feel its cheap and good quality in US , but you have many local shop options in canada which can be done cheap , but do remember you wont have any time in canada once you land , First thing getting house will eat most of time and if you start working from day one you land , you have only saturday to fix ,
2. Service ontario in toronto , near college alone accepts , USA - Canada Licence swap, Health card for first time immigrants and RIV - registration (this one not sure )
3. thanks for all the steps provided by experts which helped a lot.
4. My preference is get a good car- pay off or if new bring it to canada , In canada its way costly and as insurance is way high , you will pay that like a Monthly EMI payment.
5. RIV website gives more details than USA , you can follow that.

Misconceptions
1. 3 days before import the AES form needs to be submitted, its not like that , we can submit a week before too and you need to get confirmation reply from the exit point , but the 72 hr starts before the day you give for crossing border., which the vehicle should be in usa soil

ALL the Best for others.

Last edited:

ven6789

Sep 25, 2018
my import experiences.

In USA side , have ready with H1b approvals , they do validate. Get seal in the TITLE.
In canada side , Pay the RIV online(310 + 40) , take print outs , so they can stamp and give you zero dollar tax its free :) , then followed by registration charges 120(Year tag) + 40 (plate)
they will give a small page in green and white color calling as TITLE , dont miss that. what a pity :)

1. change tires, brake shoes,DRL and other important safety changes in the USA , as i feel its cheap and good quality in US , but you have many local shop options in canada which can be done cheap , but do remember you wont have any time in canada once you land , First thing getting house will eat most of time and if you start working from day one you land , you have only saturday to fix ,
2. Service ontario in toronto , near college alone accepts , USA - Canada Licence swap, Health card for first time immigrants and RIV - registration (this one not sure )
3. thanks for all the steps provided by experts which helped a lot.
4. My preference is get a good car- pay off or if new bring it to canada , In canada its way costly and as insurance is way high , you will pay that like a Monthly EMI payment.
5. RIV website gives more details than USA , you can follow that.

Misconceptions
1. 3 days before import the AES form needs to be submitted, its not like that , we can submit a week before too and you need to get confirmation reply from the exit point , but the 72 hr starts before the day you give for crossing border., which the vehicle should be in usa soil

ALL the Best for others.
Hi Vijay,
Thank you for the detailed reply. I have few more questions if you don't mind me asking:

1. Do they charge high insurance amount for American imported vehicles?
2. Also, what are the few good insurance companies in Ontario?
3. Does the Front wheel drive vehicles like Accord worth it for Ontario weather. Its just 2 yrs old and 15k miles on it.