+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Thank you guys for the speedy reply.

My car is still plated and registered in the state of NY, but both insurance and registration are both expired. However, I still have my clean title. I plan to import the car first and get it registered and insured on the Canadian side, so I can at least drive it. I hope they won't take away my NY title, so I can still export it.

Oh...so I have to stay in the US for 72 hours to export it even if I get an export agent to help me? From what I can find online, it just seems they will give me all sort of trouble to export it.

Right now I'm tempted to just not export it, and change the title to a Canadian one since I will never drive this car to the US in the future. I'm just worried that if I sell this car eventually, and someone else drives it across, gets into trouble for not exporting it.
You cannot register your car in Canada without having the proper import paperwork. Sorry to break that to you :(
When you import a car to Canada, you will have forms (https://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx) that must be stamped by CBSA. Those forms need to be presented to vehicle licensing authority in your province along with the title to register your car. Is the Canadian insurance company aware that you are driving a US plated car? I'm not sure that is OK.

Yes, the vehicle has to be on US soil to start the export process (https://www.autoexports.us/AES/Help/). An agent will pretty much do stuff that you can do by yourself for cheaper, so I personally don't recommend it. I used autoexports.us and it worked perfectly for me.

Going to the US with a expired registration has its risks (especially if you get pulled over by the cops). CBP will ask you the purpose of your visit. Always be honest. Tell them that you want to export your car. I really don't know if they will ask questions regarding registration and insurance as that is more to do with traffic law that isn't really their job. Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? How old is the car?

Last edited:

rv8089

Jul 17, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-07-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
24-08-2018
Hi there people,

I have a question. Can I import a car from USA that is on my uncle's name but he don't have the title as the car is on loan?
if not what is the way around. please advise.

Thank you

cisco_kidd

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Hi All,

I'm a US citizen and recently got my PR in Canada. I'm looking to bring my car over, I see the process, but there are some grey areas:

I already landed in November, can I still bring my car over tax and duty exempt?
The vehicle is 2013 and purchased new. If I do have to pay taxes, is it taxes on the full amount of the vehicle from the 2013 purchase, or the current value of the vehicle in 2019?

If this was already answered can someone direct me to the forum? Thanks in advance.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi All,

I'm a US citizen and recently got my PR in Canada. I'm looking to bring my car over, I see the process, but there are some grey areas:

I already landed in November, can I still bring my car over tax and duty exempt?
The vehicle is 2013 and purchased new. If I do have to pay taxes, is it taxes on the full amount of the vehicle from the 2013 purchase, or the current value of the vehicle in 2019?

If this was already answered can someone direct me to the forum? Thanks in advance.
If the car is manufactured in US or Mexico there will be no duty because of NAFTA trade deal. Did you declare your car in the goods to follow list? If yes, then no taxes have to be paid. If no, then you pay taxes that is determined using bill of sale (so the full amount).

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi there people,

I have a question. Can I import a car from USA that is on my uncle's name but he don't have the title as the car is on loan?
if not what is the way around. please advise.

Thank you
Short answer is NO.
Generally if there is lien on the vehicle you need to ask the financial institution for permission which is hard to get. Also there will be complications at the US border when you try to export as they expect a title to be in your name. The best solution would be to pay off the loan (Don't know if your uncle is making payments or you are) and then ask your uncle to transfer the title to you.

rv8089

Jul 17, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-07-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
24-08-2018
Short answer is NO.
Generally if there is lien on the vehicle you need to ask the financial institution for permission which is hard to get. Also there will be complications at the US border when you try to export as they expect a title to be in your name. The best solution would be to pay off the loan (Don't know if your uncle is making payments or you are) and then ask your uncle to transfer the title to you.
Thank you for responding,
My uncle is making payments. Once the title is on my name, do I need to show proof that I payed my uncle so so amount?
I recently got PR, So do I get duty and tax free import to canada?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Thank you for responding,
My uncle is making payments. Once the title is on my name, do I need to show proof that I payed my uncle so so amount?
I recently got PR, So do I get duty and tax free import to canada?
You don't have to show any proof of payment. Once the title is in your name you are good to start the export-import process. RIV and threads on this forum will be your best guide (https://www.riv.ca/)

When you say recently got PR; have you landed in Canada? If you are yet to land make sure you list the car in the goods to follow form and you will be exempt from duty and taxes when you import the car. If you have already landed and did not mention your car in the goods to follow form or did not even make a goods to follow form then you will surely have to pay taxes on the car (GST and other applicable taxes). Duty fee will be exempt if the car is made in USA/Canada/Mexico (NAFTA treaty)

rv8089

Jul 17, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-07-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
24-08-2018
You don't have to show any proof of payment. Once the title is in your name you are good to start the export-import process. RIV and threads on this forum will be your best guide (https://www.riv.ca/)

When you say recently got PR; have you landed in Canada? If you are yet to land make sure you list the car in the goods to follow form and you will be exempt from duty and taxes when you import the car. If you have already landed and did not mention your car in the goods to follow form or did not even make a goods to follow form then you will surely have to pay taxes on the car (GST and other applicable taxes). Duty fee will be exempt if the car is made in USA/Canada/Mexico (NAFTA treaty)
No. I will be completing landing process in 1 month. wrapping up things in USA and in confusion on taking car or buying there. Anyways thank you for your advice. I will consider all suggestions

cisco_kidd

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
If the car is manufactured in US or Mexico there will be no duty because of NAFTA trade deal. Did you declare your car in the goods to follow list? If yes, then no taxes have to be paid. If no, then you pay taxes that is determined using bill of sale (so the full amount).
I wasn’t made aware of the goods to follow list. This is the first I’m hearing of it. So I guess there’s no way to me to declare it tax free now?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
No. I will be completing landing process in 1 month. wrapping up things in USA and in confusion on taking car or buying there. Anyways thank you for your advice. I will consider all suggestions
I would suggest putting the car in the goods to follow list even if there is a slight chance you may import it later. This way you have time to make up your mind and you have both options available to you. Congrats on getting your PR and good luck!

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I wasn’t made aware of the goods to follow list. This is the first I’m hearing of it. So I guess there’s no way to me to declare it tax free now?
Goods to follow lets you bring in all your stuff duty/tax free at a later date. So all your belonging, etc. You may tell the CBSA officer that you did not make a goods to follow list and maybe you get lucky. However, I would not go with any expectation and be prepared to pay taxes.

cisco_kidd

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Still a grey area on this since I've been getting multiple answers.

My 2013 car is worth $10,000 USD as of 2019. I left it in the states since then and would like to bring it over. Are you sure I have to pay taxes on the full value in 2013? ($30,000 USD) Or taxes on the current value? ($10,000)? I have been told 2 answers from unconfirmed sources.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Still a grey area on this since I've been getting multiple answers.

My 2013 car is worth $10,000 USD as of 2019. I left it in the states since then and would like to bring it over. Are you sure I have to pay taxes on the full value in 2013? ($30,000 USD) Or taxes on the current value? ($10,000)? I have been told 2 answers from unconfirmed sources.
Sorry I misread your question on the grey area. Taxes are based on current market value. Also if you are returning to Canada after a year or more you get $ 10,000 exemption and taxes are charged on the remaining amount. I'm not aware of CBSA's process to determine current value of car (they ask for bill of sale if you do not have a stamped BSF186 form).

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
Hi all, I am looking to take my car with me end of feb. I have the following questions:

1) Does Detroit border handle import export?
2) After I cross the border, they allow me to drive on my US DL? What about insurance?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi all, I am looking to take my car with me end of feb. I have the following questions:

1) Does Detroit border handle import export?
2) After I cross the border, they allow me to drive on my US DL? What about insurance?
1) Yes. At the Ambassador bridge
2) Yes you can drive on US license. Check with your US insurance provider if they will cover you while in Canada (they usually do). Once you get your Canadian D/L, set up canadian insurance right away. You can then discontinue your US car insurance and register your vehicle.

The first post on this thread is an excellent resource
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/

Last edited: