+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exported Car at Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Niagara Falls, Buffalo.

AjitV

Jun 6, 2019
1. Check if the Car is admissible
https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx
2. Get a recall clearance certificate from the manufacturer.
https://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx
(For honda its super easy just go to https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls and get a screenshot there)
3. Get the ITN done. I used these guys:http://www.autoimportusa.com/
a. They ask all the details, Names, Addresses, Title, Bill of Sale
b. I paid 150$ usd
c. they setup the ITN and also email(3 day notice is required before you export or drive the car out of US) the border of crossing you choose.
d. they will send the ITN documents, Email Notice at the end.
e. Get the value of the Car using carfax.com. Convert it to Canadian dollars for when required to fill in the forms on the canadian side.​
4. Register in RIV website. www.riv.ca
a. I filled the form1 there and paid the fees ahead(about $350 CDN). Makes the process super easy on the canadian side.​
b. here you have the option to uploads: Car pictures, Bill of Sale, Title , Vehicle Clearance Letter.
c. Print out the form1- Basically 4 copies.​
5. At the border
i. US Side:​
a. you have to go to the US export office and get the Car export- Basically they stamp on the title(Very Important step)
b. Make sure to prove all your legal presence in the US. I was asked to pull all my 10 years legal presence documents(F1,OPT,H1,H1b extension).
c. have the title, bill of sale, passport, old passports if any
d. also carry the ITN document and the Email notice​
ii. Canadian Side:​
a. Do the landing documents first
Next step Customs:
b. Fill the bs186(declaration of goods) and mention the car details in the designated section. They stamp and give one copy back.
c. Tell them that the form1(Four copies print out) is already done. Basically they keep 2copies and stamp and give the 2copies.
d. they will direct you to cashier section. For me I didn't have to pay any taxes​

After I had reached Canadian address. I got an email asking me to get the inspection done. I am yet to do the inspection/registration/driverlicense. Basically i have 30-40 days to this.

Note: These steps worked for me when I crossed the border at Lewiston-Queenston Bridge in Niagara. Different port of entries might have different procedures. Please research more.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
5. At the border
i. US Side:​
a. you have to go to the US export office and get the Car export- Basically they stamp on the title(Very Important step)​
b. Make sure to prove all your legal presence in the US. I was asked to pull all my 10 years legal presence documents(F1,OPT,H1,H1b extension).​
c. have the title, bill of sale, passport, old passports if any​
d. also carry the ITN document and the Email notice​
I ( dual citizen) exported/imported my spouse's car (PR) in Detroit-Windsor ( 2 months after she landed in September 2018) with car Title on her name and with my US passport only. It took about 15 minutes, no extra questions, additional documents, etc. The vehicle Title, ITN document with 72 hours email notice and my US passport -that's it. After Title was stamped I proceeded to Canadian side and did import the vehicle with all her paperwork on hands. The main thing to show on Canadian side was the List of Goods to Follow with vehicle VIN.

The funny thing 2 months earlier during the actual landing at the same border crossing with 26' truck loaded with our stuff, with a child, a dog, and a car - the landing procedure was minor compared to questions about the vehicle and duties. All they cared was about the money (duty). Nobody even looked at the stuff in the truck, dog's rabies shots, alcohol, tobacco, so we could import the elephant. Only when I showed my US DL, insurance and VIN in the List of Goods to Follow they allowed to proceed with US plated vehicle to Canada.