AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
24-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
20-08-2018
I'm planning to export my car from the US to Canada., I'm okay to use any port in Detroit or New York. Even though the Detroit tunnel / Ambassador bridge / Lewiston bridge (NY) are open 24x7, the office timings are listed as 8am-4pm only on weekdays.

After receiving ITN and providing 72-hour notice to CBP, will I be able to export the car on weekends in any of these ports?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, you will need to go during office hours. They need to inspect your papers on the US side, verify the car's VIN number, and stamp the documents. Then you drive over to the Canadian side and show them the papers.

CBP will email you and tell you the operating hours.

Here's what my email said:

------
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. Federal holidays.

Please arrive by 3:45 pm to allow adequate time to process your paperwork as our office closes right at 4:00pm or you will be asked to come back the following business day.

We are located in the Lewiston Bridge Cargo Warehouse- Room # 135

1 Lewiston Bridge Plaza Lewiston, NY (follow the signs for Customs Export)

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York

If you receive a response from us – Please do not resubmit the same VIN/Serial number – as it will be kept on file for 6 months.

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

american_dream

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
USA
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
24-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
20-08-2018
No, you will need to go during office hours. They need to inspect your papers on the US side, verify the car's VIN number, and stamp the documents. Then you drive over to the Canadian side and show them the papers.

CBP will email you and tell you the operating hours.

Here's what my email said:

------
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. Federal holidays.

Please arrive by 3:45 pm to allow adequate time to process your paperwork as our office closes right at 4:00pm or you will be asked to come back the following business day.

We are located in the Lewiston Bridge Cargo Warehouse- Room # 135

1 Lewiston Bridge Plaza Lewiston, NY (follow the signs for Customs Export)

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York

If you receive a response from us – Please do not resubmit the same VIN/Serial number – as it will be kept on file for 6 months.

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.
Thank you! A quick follow-up question. Can I complete the export process at CBP office and not cross the border on the same day or continue driving in the US? i.e returning to home in the US and then travel to Canada another day?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you! A quick follow-up question. Can I complete the export process at CBP office and not cross the border on the same day or continue driving in the US? i.e returning to home in the US and then travel to Canada another day?
I don't think so. Once CBP has marked your vehicle for export, they will stamp the car's title documents, thereby invalidating them in the USA. I'm pretty sure you can't drive around once your car has been marked for export at a border crossing.

I'm not absolutely sure, but you can email them and ask buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov

american_dream

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
USA
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
24-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
20-08-2018
I don't think so. Once CBP has marked your vehicle for export, they will stamp the car's title documents, thereby invalidating them in the USA. I'm pretty sure you can't drive around once your car has been marked for export at a border crossing.

I'm not absolutely sure, but you can email them and ask buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
Thank you. I will check.

american_dream

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
USA
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
24-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
20-08-2018
american_dream - Did they allow you to drive back to US after exporting your car and then drive to Canada next day?
The Detroit CBP office (Ambassador bridge) is open 24×7, and I was able to export my car on Saturday. So I didnt had to drive back.

But once exported the only exit available was to Canada.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The Detroit CBP office (Ambassador bridge) is open 24×7, and I was able to export my car on Saturday. So I didnt had to drive back.

But once exported the only exit available was to Canada.
Good to have that confirmed. That's what I'd assumed but now we know for sure.

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
The Detroit CBP office (Ambassador bridge) is open 24×7, and I was able to export my car on Saturday.
So this facility is indeed 24 x 7 right ? I'm planning to do the export this Saturday at around 3pm. Interestingly, the automatic reply from the CBP mailbox does not mention any office timings (unlike the lewinston office)

Jun 12, 2019
So this facility is indeed 24 x 7 right ? I'm planning to do the export this Saturday at around 3pm. Interestingly, the automatic reply from the CBP mailbox does not mention any office timings (unlike the lewinston office)
Did you use the ambassador bridge ? how was your experience.

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Guys, I'm thinking of importing my wife's car on Monday.
I haven't not submitted the document to CBP (Ambassador bridge). I am thinking of sending the email to them today on Wednesday.

1. What all documents and information do I need to include in the email?
2. If I send the email today (Wednesday), can I import the car on Sunday eve/night? Or should I do it on Monday just to be safe (avoiding weekend)?

Thanks in advance.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Guys, I'm thinking of importing my wife's car on Monday.
I haven't not submitted the document to CBP (Ambassador bridge). I am thinking of sending the email to them today on Wednesday.

1. What all documents and information do I need to include in the email?
2. If I send the email today (Wednesday), can I import the car on Sunday eve/night? Or should I do it on Monday just to be safe (avoiding the weekend)?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Just wondering,
Did you made the exporting on Sunday?