+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiry of Alberta Health Card

Nia

Feb 2, 2013
Hi
I am landing in Edmonton, AB through Montreal ( transit). Would I be eligible for Alberta Health care right away ? or does it matter where I first land in Canada no matter if its transit?

Also my stay this time be for four weeks only so if I apply for Alberta Health Card this time and then leave country for an year, would my Alberta health insrance be expired when I come back to Canada after an year, if yes can i re-apply?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are eligible for health care if you stay in the province for 6 months a year. Therefore, if you plan to only stay for a month and then leave for a year, you are not eligible for AB health yet. Just get travel insurance in case you have an emergency and apply for AB health in a year when you are back to stay.

Nia

Feb 2, 2013
But if I apply for Alberta Health Card in my one month stay in Canada and visit some family doctor, is that legal? i mean would i be charged? And can I reapply for Alberta Health Card once i come back to Canada after an year?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not eligible unless you live in the province 6 months a year.

If you know that you will not be living in AB for 6 months in the next 12, you know that you are not eligible.

If you go and apply for a health card anyway and don't tell them about your intentions, I don't know if it is against any law but in any case it is immoral so that is why you should not do that. As for legal consequences, they could back charge you if you use your health card in such a case.

There was a case in BC where a lady arrived in BC as a new PR. She stayed for the 3 month waiting period, got her health card and then gave birth to a baby which was covered. She left with her baby 5.5 months after she landed. BC health waited to see if she would return and when she did not return to fulfill her 6 months in 12, they concluded that she was never eligible for BC health in the first place and back charged her $43,000. Now, she asked why such a big bill when most people pay no more than $10,000 for the birth of a child and they said the hospitals bill differently when BC health is paying so this is what BC health paid on her behalf and that is what she has to pay them back.

Therefore, it is safer for you just to get a travel insurance. You probably wont need a doctor if you are only staying for a month but if you have an emergency, your travel insurance will cover it and when you are back, you can apply for AB health and have no problem with them.

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
Leon said:
There was a case in BC where a lady arrived in BC as a new PR. She stayed for the 3 month waiting period, got her health card and then gave birth to a baby which was covered. She left with her baby 5.5 months after she landed. BC health waited to see if she would return and when she did not return to fulfill her 6 months in 12, they concluded that she was never eligible for BC health in the first place and back charged her $43,000. Now, she asked why such a big bill when most people pay no more than $10,000 for the birth of a child and they said the hospitals bill differently when BC health is paying so this is what BC health paid on her behalf and that is what she has to pay them back.
Could you please provide some reference to that case. I couldn't find any mention of it on the Internet.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GREAKLY said:
Could you please provide some reference to that case. I couldn't find any mention of it on the Internet.
She was here on this forum but after feeling she gave too much personal info, she asked the moderators to delete all her posts so you will not even find it here. I had told her to talk to the ombudsman in BC or take her story to the media but I have no idea if she did or tried that.

Jieron

Nov 3, 2020
Hi! I am an Open work permit holder. My Alberta health card is expired on November 2, but I already applied for my extension last August 6 because my wife submitted a new study permit application. Am I still covered with AHS while waiting for the result? Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I am an Open work permit holder. My Alberta health card is expired on November 2, but I already applied for my extension last August 6 because my wife submitted a new study permit application. Am I still covered with AHS while waiting for the result? Thanks in advance.
You don’t qualify for an extension because your wife applied for a new study permit which hadn’t been approved. You only will qualify to apply for an SOWP when your wife has her study permit. You shouldn’t be working past when your WP ends.