+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiry date

C

Mar 13, 2010
Hi,

I am here in Canada with valid work permit till Aug 20 2010, which will expire within 6 months. I went back home country and return to Canada on Mar 09 2010.
Officer at POE put stamp and annotated the date of June 01 2010, handwritten on my passport.
Nothing did he mention regarding to change of my condition or period I can stay in Canada, I wasn’t thorough on the page at that time. I am from visa-exempted country.

Just wondering If I need to extend my temporary resident status prior to June 01 2010, otherwise being out of status?
Or I do not have problem with continue working under current Work Permit till Aug 20 2010 as stated on the permit?

Getting confused as I’ve never got any handwritten date on my passport, which is shorter than WP expiry date.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
C said:
Hi,

I am here in Canada with valid work permit till Aug 20 2010, which will expire within 6 months. I went back home country and return to Canada on Mar 09 2010.
Officer at POE put stamp and annotated the date of June 01 2010, handwritten on my passport.
Nothing did he mention regarding to change of my condition or period I can stay in Canada, I wasn't thorough on the page at that time. I am from visa-exempted country.

Just wondering If I need to extend my temporary resident status prior to June 01 2010, otherwise being out of status?
Or I do not have problem with continue working under current Work Permit till Aug 20 2010 as stated on the permit?

Getting confused as I've never got any handwritten date on my passport, which is shorter than WP expiry date.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Did you show your WP when you entered?

C

Mar 13, 2010
Thank you for reply.
Yes, the officer checked my WP and confirmed expiry date was less than 6 months.

It seems legitimate that the officer should limit my temporary stay to a period of less than 6 months, but reasonable to be in line with WP expiry date.
The date of June 01 2009, handwritten on my passport, seems random for me, but by any means does the officer at POE technically have authority to vary the condition on WP individually?

Or can I just stick to WP expiry date and continue working as status quo till Aug 20 ?

Very appreciate any thoughts / guidance on this.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
C said:
Thank you for reply.
Yes, the officer checked my WP and confirmed expiry date was less than 6 months.

It seems legitimate that the officer should limit my temporary stay to a period of less than 6 months, but reasonable to be in line with WP expiry date.
The date of June 01 2009, handwritten on my passport, seems random for me, but by any means does the officer at POE technically have authority to vary the condition on WP individually?

Or can I just stick to WP expiry date and continue working as status quo till Aug 20 ?

Very appreciate any thoughts / guidance on this.
You can work until the end of the validity of your work permit but if you go out after the expiration of TRV (date stamped on your VR) you may not be allowed to enter again (depends upon the officer actually) even if you are from a "visa free" country.

yes, they can, they can even refuse entry.

May I leave, then re-enter Canada?
In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada.
If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return, unless:
•you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
• you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.
Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5553E.PDF p6

C

Mar 13, 2010
job_seeker said:
You can work until the end of the validity of your work permit but if you go out after the expiration of TRV (date stamped on your VR) you may not be allowed to enter again (depends upon the officer actually) even if you are from a "visa free" country.

yes, they can, they can even refuse entry.

May I leave, then re-enter Canada?
In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada.
If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return, unless:
•you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
• you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.
Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.
Good to know I can work legally till validity of WP but just have to make sure not to go across the border.  

Thank you again for your expertise.