+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring PR Card as I await Oath Invite

armenj

Sep 15, 2017
Hi guys, just wondering if this would be an issue? My PR Card is expiring in couple of days and I am awaiting for my invitation for the Oath.. did test in First week of August in Scarborough.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi guys, just wondering if this would be an issue? My PR Card is expiring in couple of days and I am awaiting for my invitation for the Oath.. did test in First week of August in Scarborough.
No issue. Just don't leave the country...

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
As zardoz mentioned, you're fine as long as you remain in the country. Do you see the need to travel anytime soon? Outside of a emergency I think you'd be fine. Just bringing it up because some people, have been waiting months after their test.

armenj

Sep 15, 2017
Thanks guys. What if I need to travel? is there any other way than renewing the PR Card? It is a bit ridiculous to renew it - processing time 90 days - when I am almost sure i'd be doing the Oath before receiving my new PR Card. I might need to travel.

Zimgyal

Star Member
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks guys. What if I need to travel? is there any other way than renewing the PR Card? It is a bit ridiculous to renew it - processing time 90 days - when I am almost sure i'd be doing the Oath before receiving my new PR Card. I might need to travel.
There's no other way to travel unless you renew your PR card. Mine expires tomorrow ARGGGGGGH! I filled out the form already but not sure if I'm going to mail it out. I'll just wait for the completion of my citizenship application.........**sigh**

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
There's no other way to travel unless you renew your PR card. Mine expires tomorrow ARGGGGGGH! I filled out the form already but not sure if I'm going to mail it out. I'll just wait for the completion of my citizenship application.........**sigh**
There is (Permanent Resident Travel Document):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html?_ga=2.69366041.803791986.1537885663-1382823922.1534527894

Reactions: armenj

armenj

Sep 15, 2017
Thanks man. from the link, the language seem to indicate that I could apply for this only if I claim to have lost my PR card while outside of Canada. not sure I can use it if my card has expired ( pretty sure CIC have record of my PR Expiry date) and thus won't accept the application, right? In any case, how do I check the processing time on this?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanks man. from the link, the language seem to indicate that I could apply for this only if I claim to have lost my PR card while outside of Canada. not sure I can use it if my card has expired ( pretty sure CIC have record of my PR Expiry date) and thus won't accept the application, right? In any case, how do I check the processing time on this?
That is incorrect. You can apply for your PRTD at a local VAC (in the visiting city) for any logical reason.

Case in point:
I applied for my PRC renewal with an urgent processing request as my father was hospitalized with terminal cancer. I had submitted all necessary supporting docs, and waited and waited, IRCC didn't care a hoot. On the third month of non-receipt of the renewed PRCs my father passed away ~ and we flew out-of-Canada with our expired PR cards.

Applied for a PRTD at the local VAC. Submitted copies of our return tickets. Informed them that my PR cards have not yet comeby. PRTDs were in hand within 3-weeks. Returned to Canada, was pissed-off, and applied for citizenship as well. After a month and half the renewed PR cards came to our door.

Advise: Before 60 days of your PRCs expiry please apply for their renewal. You never know why, how and when you may have to travel. We're residing in a foreign country and still have ties with our homeland of birth, remember that. And that $50 just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: kushari

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
That is incorrect. You can apply for your PRTD at a local VAC (in the visiting city) for any logical reason.

Case in point:
I applied for my PRC renewal with an urgent processing request as my father was hospitalized with terminal cancer. I had submitted all necessary supporting docs, and waited and waited, IRCC didn't care a hoot. On the third month of non-receipt of the renewed PRCs my father passed away ~ and we flew out-of-Canada with our expired PR cards.

Applied for a PRTD at the local VAC. Submitted copies of our return tickets. Informed them that my PR cards have not yet comeby. PRTDs were in hand within 3-weeks. Returned to Canada, was pissed-off, and applied for citizenship as well. After a month and half the renewed PR cards came to our door.

Advise: Before 60 days of your PRCs expiry please apply for their renewal. You never know why, how and when you may have to travel. We're residing in a foreign country and still have ties with our homeland of birth, remember that. And that $50 just doesn't matter.
Sorry to hear about your Father.

Reactions: qorax

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

Case in point:

A person can apply for renewal 9 months before expiry

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
True, if s/he can remember it then. Nonetheless, renewing this card is utterly important. And to do it whenever the earliest we can.
I have maintained a diary where I have kept the details of DL, Health cards, Passports, Pr cards, etc expiry dates and always see to it that I renew these documents well before the expiry dates.
I renewed my family Pr cards 9 months before expiry and had photo rejections inbetween and it took nearly 6 months to get the renewed cards.
One should remember that we never know when a emergency comes in and we need to leave for home country.
I am currently waiting for Oath invitation since June when I gave the test.
In August I had a emergency call from Home country due to a family member serious with lung cancer.
I informed IRCC thru the webform and left for a month.
After returning I again informed I am back and waiting for Oath.
They replied its noted .
My advice to all is renew your PR cards well in time so that you could travel easily if getting a emergency call.

Reactions: kushari

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I would renew your card just in case. I know it takes time but so is waiting for your oath ceremony. The wait for your oath ceremony can take several months for GTA applicants

freezing_aussie

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-07-2012
Passport Req..
10-04-2013
My PR card expired in August. I applied for it in early April, when the instruction from CIC was to apply for renewal when the card was 6 months to expiry or less. My application has been returned to me twice by the processing office since for very minor issues that I am convinced I rectified the second time (i.e. a clear typo in the date on the signature page).

By the time it was returned the second time I had already been invited for the citizenship test / interview so I gave up dealing with the PR card renewal, hoping that I will be granted citizenship soon and it would be a mute point. Each time you go to the back of the queue and the time starts again. It's ridiculous how long a PR card renewal application process takes, and good luck contacting someone to speak to about your application. I just give up.

Ironically, my citizenship application was (a) easier to complete and (b) processed faster (from application to decision made).