+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Work Permit

Coltttt

Apr 23, 2022
Hi

I was accepted as a conventional refugee last year and my application for pr is being processed at the moment but my work permit has expired, I applied for a new work permit December 2021 and got a letter in response to the application saying I am allowed to work until April (1 month after expire date on work permit). Is there anyone in this type of situation or know what to do regarding this as I need to work because I have commitments that requires it

Reactions: IcloudUser1985

IcloudUser1985

Star Member
Jul 5, 2021
Hi

I was accepted as a conventional refugee last year and my application for pr is being processed at the moment but my work permit has expired, I applied for a new work permit December 2021 and got a letter in response to the application saying I am allowed to work until April (1 month after expire date on work permit). Is there anyone in this type of situation or know what to do regarding this as I need to work because I have commitments that requires it
Same here, temporary extension they gave me is till 25th of May 2022, and my WP application is still submitted (not approved) let alone shipping time

Shahid4u

May 5, 2022
Hi

Greetings,

Did you get your work permit?
What did you do when your work permit ackowledgement expired?
What did you do when confirmation paper got expired?
Need your advice, because I stuck in a same situation. Neither my work permit nor my ackowledgement paper is valid both of them are expired & I can't go for my work, hence need your advice as soon as possible. Please..

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Greetings,

Did you get your work permit?
What did you do when your work permit ackowledgement expired?
What did you do when confirmation paper got expired?
Need your advice, because I stuck in a same situation. Neither my work permit nor my ackowledgement paper is valid both of them are expired & I can't go for my work, hence need your advice as soon as possible. Please..
You are under implied status and you are authorized to work until decision is made on your application.

Shahid4u

May 5, 2022
You are under implied status and you are authorized to work until decision is made on your application.
Thanks for your reply, I drive Uber & Lyft. I spoke with them, & they don't accept it & asked me to wait until city of Toronto makes decision on my application. Right now I don't have anything to do.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply, I drive Uber & Lyft. I spoke with them, & they don't accept it & asked me to wait until city of Toronto makes decision on my application. Right now I don't have anything to do.
This is Federal jurisdiction, I am not sure what do you mean by "until City of Toronto makes decision on my application"

Mcan93

Apr 7, 2022
Hey,
I have the same issue. I spoke with Uber support and they tried 4-5 times but they dont accept my documents.

What should I do?

edit: I told them in the paper which the government of Canada wrote "

This period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugees
Protection Regulations."

After that uber accepted my document.

Maybe, someone needs this info.

Last edited:

4emad4

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Yeah same issue it took them almost 5 months to process my open work permit, I applied March 12 and received my approval today. The annoying part I was sick and I had to pay from my packet because my health card linked to my work permit :(

if you work full time you will be fine just show them the paper you received when you applied they can’t fire you as long your work permit is under process.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Same here, temporary extension they gave me is till 25th of May 2022, and my WP application is still submitted (not approved) let alone shipping time
I applied for extension of WP for a friend on Feb. 17. Today he got his final approval. Almost 6 months!!!

Jok Sue

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
Here is my dilemma and I hope someone could help.

* Applied for WP extension a month before the expiry date
* Received a letter that I am authorized to continue working till a decision is made
* Gave the letter to my employer

Now the issue is, my employer is telling me that if I can't provide a new WP by the date on the letter I will have to stop working

Show my employer the link from IRCC website that says:

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.

Now my employer is telling me they can not continue to hire me with an expired SIN even though I am on an implied status.

Can someone please tell me what my options are? Can I find another employer with these conditions if my current employer insists on letting me go?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Here is my dilemma and I hope someone could help.

* Applied for WP extension a month before the expiry date
* Received a letter that I am authorized to continue working till a decision is made
* Gave the letter to my employer

Now the issue is, my employer is telling me that if I can't provide a new WP by the date on the letter I will have to stop working

Show my employer the link from IRCC website that says:

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.

Now my employer is telling me they can not continue to hire me with an expired SIN even though I am on an implied status.

Can someone please tell me what my options are? Can I find another employer with these conditions if my current employer insists on letting me go?
provide your employer with written notes citing section 186 u, you can even print it and attach. if they terminates your employment, go to arbitration. they have no ground to end your employment because of expired SIN provided you are on maintained status. I know someone went through the same but they backed off

Reactions: Mcan93