+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired work permit

Butterbee

Feb 25, 2018
Hello Friends,
Has any one received their work permit and is any one still working with their expired work permit. Mine has expired since June and I applied for renewal in March and still haven’t received it. And i now my job wouldn’t let me work . So please do anyone know their number so i can call or something. Thanks for your response.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Generally speaking, if you applied to extend your work permit before it expired, you can continue working on implied status until a decision is made on your application, but admittedly I do not know if this is different for refugee/asylum claimants.

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
it depends on your employer...the IRCC site says you can continue working if you have applied to extend already. my employer stopped me too and asked me to resign until i get the original copy of the new permit. :(:(:mad::mad:

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
I applied fr renewal in may,, it wxpired in july, still hvnt got the new one, the current wait time is 177days as per the ircc website

Butterbee

Feb 25, 2018
What should we do because how can i pay my bills if I don’t work. The employer needs to know that it is not our fault .

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You're legally allowed to work. I'm not an expert, but if they're essentially seeking to terminate your employment you're entitled to notice or pay in lieu.

Reactions: Butterbee

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
You're legally allowed to work. I'm not an expert, but if they're essentially seeking to terminate your employment you're entitled to notice or pay in lieu.
my employer told me it was my fault for not taking the responsibility of renewing much earlier. sad situation

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
What should we do because how can i pay my bills if I don’t work. The employer needs to know that it is not our fault .
they seem not to care. if u are really on a tight corner u might have to apply for social assistance. 183 days is what the site is saying what a crapy deal. 183days renewing a permit bhuuuhhhh