+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired work permit

Randyv

Nov 26, 2012
Hi guys! Can you help me please its about my open work permit coz it will expire this coming august 28, 2013 and i actually send a new application to extend my open work permit last month and i am under spouse sponsorship and my application is still on process until now. My question is can i still continue working while i am waiting for the new OWP to be issued? Thank you so much!

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Randyv said:
Hi guys! Can you help me please its about my open work permit coz it will expire this coming august 28, 2013 and i actually send a new application to extend my open work permit last month and i am under spouse sponsorship and my application is still on process until now. My question is can i still continue working while i am waiting for the new OWP to be issued? Thank you so much!
Yes,you can still continue to work until you get your new work permit since you sent an application before your current one expired!.....You are under implied status:)...So don't worry ;)

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you are under Implied status however what PROOF do you have that your on Implied Status?

I heard that with Implied status you don't get any documentation.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Jamesdavid3 said:
Yes you are under Implied status however what PROOF do you have that your on Implied Status?

I heard that with Implied status you don't get any documentation.
Your receipt of payment is proof,you can also print out the page that states if you sent your application before your valid one expired you can continue to work until you get your new one as proof incase your job asks!!!.....I've done it before!

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK but what about your SIN number expiring? doesn't that effect anything?

I always thought you cant work without a SIN number

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Jamesdavid3 said:
OK but what about your SIN number expiring? doesn't that effect anything?

I always thought you cant work without a SIN number
Like I wrote before,I've been able to work with an expired WP while waiting for a new one!!!-My sin was fine,as a matter of fact I never did go to service Canada to renew it even after I got my new WP :-[....So I reckon even if its expired you can still use it!!!

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But did you not feel safe as when your work permit/SIN expires you normally have to leave the country. It seems like if you continue to stay even though your waiting for you application it almost seems illegal?

Because when you entered Canada you normally have to leave when your work permit's up however you just continuing to stay.

So when you do have you work permit/PR and you have to re-enter the country will the border control not be annoyed because you didn't leave when you had to?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jamesdavid3 said:
So when you do have you work permit/PR and you have to re-enter the country will the border control not be annoyed because you didn't leave when you had to?
No, because a person on Implied Status DOESN'T have to leave. They are legally allowed to stay in Canada.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Jamesdavid3 said:
But did you not feel safe as when your work permit/SIN expires you normally have to leave the country. It seems like if you continue to stay even though your waiting for you application it almost seems illegal?

Because when you entered Canada you normally have to leave when your work permit's up however you just continuing to stay.

And I don't need to go to the border to re-enter Canada,I'll land at my local immigration office!!

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
No, because a person on Implied Status DOESN'T have to leave. They are legally allowed to stay in Canada.
OK at what point do you have confirmation you are on Implied status?

There has never been any documentation sent to anyone, I guess all you have as proof is receipts from your PR application and OWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jamesdavid3 said:
OK at what point do you have confirmation you are on Implied status?

There has never been any documentation sent to anyone, I guess all you have as proof is receipts from your PR application and OWP?
There is no confirmation. If you submit the app before your current one expires, you have Implied Status after it expires. For proof, you can use the app receipt, post office or courier receipt, status on ECAS.