+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Visa, Valid Study Permit

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Hey guys,

I want to confirm if you can remain in Canada with an expired temporary visa but with a valid study permit. My study permit expires next year but my visa expired about 2 months ago. I confirmed with CIC when I called them months ago and the agent told me that I only need the visa to travel in and out of Canada but as far as my study permit is still valid and I am in school I am in compliance with my status in Canada as a student.
Can someone please confirm if it is true or not?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you mean TRV that is only required to travel to Canada, your study permit is what gives you valid status in Canada. So agent is correct.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys,

I want to confirm if you can remain in Canada with an expired temporary visa but with a valid study permit. My study permit expires next year but my visa expired about 2 months ago. I confirmed with CIC when I called them months ago and the agent told me that I only need the visa to travel in and out of Canada but as far as my study permit is still valid and I am in school I am in compliance with my status in Canada as a student.
Can someone please confirm if it is true or not?
Hi

It's true. However, it is not a good idea to be in Canada without a valid TRV. Many students/workers have had to suddenly return home for a short time and found themselves stuck outside of Canada waiting for a TRV to be approved while missing school and work.

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
I am in Canada and don't plan on travelling until 2020 when I graduate so I didn't think it would be a big deal. But I would do it just incase as I am applying to extend my study permit

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
I am in Canada and don't plan on travelling until 2020 when I graduate so I didn't think it would be a big deal. But I would do it just incase as I am applying to extend my study permit
You're agent is correct, TRV allows you enter/exit Canada for a number of times (Depending whether is single entry of multiple entry) upto its expiry date. However, it only, allows you board a flight to Canada and explain yourself to the border officer about your purpose of visit. You're still required to have a purpose on landing (whether it is study/work etc). A TRV however, DOES NOT GUARANTEE entry into Canada.

Once in Canada, if you're TRV expires (probably when you extend your studies or change status to work) it is recommended to renew TRV on time, which allows you the privilege of landing in Canada after exiting.

I would totally suggest renewing your TRV (as it might take some time for CIC to your process your request like upto 4 months)

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I would second other members and suggest that you get your TRV renewed as during an emergency you will be in a lot of problems and unnecessarily adding more stress. Many such people who have expired TRV either don't realize or they have to run up and down hoops to re-enter Canada.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Seems like people on this thread have a good amount of knowledge to answer my query .

Due to unavoidable circumstances,I had to come back to India from Canada right after landing in Canada in December.My study visa is valid till September 2020 and I am now wanting to start studying in a new college from September 2019 .So,I wanted to know how to proceed.Do I need to apply for a new study visa or I can land in Canada with the same visa and get it extended while in Canada?

I sent this query to the High Commission of Canada in delhi and this is what they replied:

If your Study Permit is still valid but your re-entry temporary resident visa (TRV) for Canada has expired, you may apply for a single- or multiple-entry TRV. A multiple-entry TRV will normally be issued with the same validity as your Study Permit, or your passport, whichever expires earlier. Please be sure to enclose a copy of your valid Study Permit with your TRV application.

I'll be very thankful to someone who can assist me with this.

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Yes you can stay in Canada with an expired visa and a valid study permit. My Visa was expired for over 2 years and I had a valid study permit, I could travel wherever I wanted inside Canada but I couldn’t travel out of Canada. When I applied for a new visa I got it without any stress. It’s good to have both visa and study permit valid in case of emergencies.

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
@ankush0177 I’m a bit confused, Is your visa expired but your study permit is valid and you’re currently not in Canada.

In my case I switched school while in Canada, valid study permit but my visa was expired and I literally just applied to the new school got accepted, pretty much the normal process but I had to notify CIC about my change of school after I accepted the admission.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
@ankush0177 I’m a bit confused, Is your visa expired but your study permit is valid and you’re currently not in Canada.

In my case I switched school while in Canada, valid study permit but my visa was expired and I literally just applied to the new school got accepted, pretty much the normal process but I had to notify CIC about my change of school after I accepted the admission.
thanks for replying bro/sis. Well, I'm not in Canada and I withdrew and got refunded from my college. My visa and permit is valid till September 2020.Now I've got acceptance from a new college in Montreal and also got the CAQ done for a course starting September 2019.I've also updatef the latest DLI on the CIC portal. Worried about how the CBSA guys will react at the POE/Montreal Airport.

Resa Ahmed

Nov 17, 2020
Yes you can stay in Canada with an expired visa and a valid study permit. My Visa was expired for over 2 years and I had a valid study permit, I could travel wherever I wanted inside Canada but I couldn’t travel out of Canada. When I applied for a new visa I got it without any stress. It’s good to have both visa and study permit valid in case of emergencies.
hi, my student visa and study permit both will be expired in July 2021. I will apply for the study permit extension in April 2021. As in this pandemic processing is delaying, therefore, my concern is if during the decision making my student visa will get expired, and I get the new study permit after July 2021, what should I do?

Adharsh Ravi

Feb 23, 2021
Hey guys,
I recently got my study permit extended till 2024 but my visa(on passport) has expired. I left Canada due to the pandemic and now I need a new visa. Do I need to start the application process for a new visitor's visa again or can I just get the visa stamping with my current study permit? I live in India btw. Thanks

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hey guys,
I recently got my study permit extended till 2024 but my visa(on passport) has expired. I left Canada due to the pandemic and now I need a new visa. Do I need to start the application process for a new visitor's visa again or can I just get the visa stamping with my current study permit? I live in India btw. Thanks
You need to Apply for a new TRV(Temporary Residence Visa), and show your study permit. Just to clarify wording, Canada doesn't technically have a visit visa. If you were visiting, you would get a TRV for the purpose of visiting. Since you are a student you will have to get a TRV for the purpose of studying for which you have to show your study permit and submit all other required documents. The Visa stamp and the TRV are the same thing, you will have to go through the application process regrettably as you are applying to enter Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=IN#applications - You can look at this link and download the document checklist.

Christyodofin

Sep 18, 2018
Hey guys,
Have you gotten a new visa I’m currently in the same situation. I’m scared I wouldn’t be back in time for school