+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Study Permit

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
I couldn't get my passport as the Indian Embassy was asking for a valid study permit while you could not grant me a study permit without a valid passport. I asked for several extensions from CIC and was granted them. However, when I submitted another one, I got an error. I emailed CIC with the a screenshot attached. As for my passport, the Indian Embassy was unwilling to rush it and asked for an extra fee to even process it. They also refused to provide a letter of explanation for the delay and only granted me two years. I kept emailing CIC and got a reply saying that my email was forwarded to a branch that could help. I didn't apply for a restoration because I was still waiting for a reply from CIC. Now, the grace period to apply for a restoration has expired and I don't know what to do because I still have another 1.5 years of my study and want to get a maters here after I finish my undergrad. Is there anyone that can help?

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
Hi was anyone in the same boat that can help or has information because I really need help guys!

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
I wasn't. My study permit expired the same time my passport did but I was granted extensions till I got my passport. The last request letter for an extension did not upload and I didn't apply for a study permit in my 90 day restoration period. So I'm stuck on what to do now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vrp801 said:
I wasn't. My study permit expired the same time my passport did but I was granted extensions till I got my passport. The last request letter for an extension did not upload and I didn't apply for a study permit in my 90 day restoration period. So I'm stuck on what to do now.
If you're beyond the 90 day period then it is too late to fix your issue from within Canada. Your only choice is to leave Canada, return to your home country, and apply for a new study permit from there.

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
I saw a post where a member got a study permit even though the restoration period had expired. Is there anyone that knows how he went about that? I also emailed CIC before and during the 90 days about it and was just awaiting a reply on what to do next and didn't realize that I had a restoration period where I had to apply.

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
vrp801 said:
I couldn't get my passport as the Indian Embassy was asking for a valid study permit while you could not grant me a study permit without a valid passport. I asked for several extensions from CIC and was granted them. However, when I submitted another one, I got an error. I emailed CIC with the a screenshot attached. As for my passport, the Indian Embassy was unwilling to rush it and asked for an extra fee to even process it. They also refused to provide a letter of explanation for the delay and only granted me two years. I kept emailing CIC and got a reply saying that my email was forwarded to a branch that could help. I didn't apply for a restoration because I was still waiting for a reply from CIC. Now, the grace period to apply for a restoration has expired and I don't know what to do because I still have another 1.5 years of my study and want to get a maters here after I finish my undergrad. Is there anyone that can help?

what area did u reside ?

write up a letter to consulate general of india and copy cic in the email alongwith your area mp -

these cases are usually granted waiver if genuinely found - you are at no fault

let me know if u need any other info

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
I live in St. John's NL. I did email the Consulate and they replied saying the following:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

We regret, that there was inconvenience caused due to the delay.

It may have been unintended. We further like to assure you that we will definitely assist in clarifying it to CIC if approached by them."

Is there anything else they can do. I just applied again and got a refusal letter yesterday so I emailed CIC and the consulate about it because while waiting for my passport, I emailed CIC about the issue before and during the 90 day period and didn't get a reply back until after the 90 days were over.

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
ok - take print out of all docs and corrspondence and visit indian consulate in person - take phone# and email and name of person who assured u this and then walk up to nearest border - meet CBSA officer at POE -

they will issue u a BOWP - bridge open work permit -

the process is known as flag pole

technically during request of Bowp u r not leaving canada - upon granting bowp - officer will ask u to turn around and re-enter

also carry proof of employment and proof of current activity you doing in canada

if need be accompany a canadian citizen who can vouch for u- saying u r a good resident with no problems with law

good luck

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
But I need a study permit so would I go about getting that? Also, is there a chance they would tell me to leave at the border?

vrp801

Nov 2, 2014
There's no update so far! I got an email telling me to reapply at the beginning of this month and when I did I received a letter stating that my application was refused because the restoration period expired. I emailed CIC and the consulate and am waiting for their reply! Again, if there's anyone that was in the same boat or has any advice, please let me know!!